Single Carburetor Conversion on 78 GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
JackLeach
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Single Carburetor Conversion on 78 GL1000

Post by JackLeach »

I recently pulled the original 4 carburetor set up off my 1978 GL1000 because I had someone tell me they make a single carburetor kit that really makes the bike run great and it's so much easier and simpler. So I bought what I was told was the nicest one, all stainless steel, no sharp turns real nice looking unit. Comes with the VW Carb. I took the other original one out. And installed the new one. After about 3 hours of messing with it I couldn't get it to work. I take it all apart, turns out the float was stuck. I then get it to run. And the following is my thoughts on it all.

The idle is very hard to get set. It's either 2k or basically dying. You get alot of carburetor freezing all over the manifold. When you are actually driving it's very smooth and consistent. In my case it eliminated the need to synchronize the Carburetors. I can definitely feel a loss in horsepower, nothing drastic however when you're really gunning it you'll notice.

I think if there was a way to get the idle to be consistent at around 850-1000 then it would a really great option for certain situations.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had success with these or not.