Head light or switch cause not to start?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
micalocus541
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda Goldwing gl1000

Head light or switch cause not to start?

Post by micalocus541 »

Okay so I have recently been working on my 1979 gl1000 project, starting it every morning since I have gotten it running, but I recently have removed the headlight bucket that's underneath the front fairings and also I removed the hi/lol switch, would that cause it to not start up? The starter does engage an the battery is good, but I'm at a loss, I'm trying to reduce the amount of wires this bike has, the previous owner, electrical taped everything and it looks ridiculous, but any help will be appreciated an I have been staring at the wiring schematics for this bike for weeks now lol an I am still so clueless .... Please help haha

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: Head light or switch cause not to start?

Post by LAB3 »

I've had a similar thing start to happen with mine, the kill switch is the culprit. As usual start with your basics by pulling out one of your spark plugs and laying it on the engine while you crank it, that'll let you know if your getting spark while you crank it. The kill switch cuts power to the spark circuit, not the starter. As to "The sins of a previous owner" you'll do well by soldering any previously cut wires and covering those splices with heat shrink tubing. Electrical problems always seem to come up at 3am in the rain a long way from home and taking care of them now is always time well spent!
I'm selling good clean fresh hay. If you want some that's already passed through the horse, that comes a little cheaper!

The best advice on internet motorcycle repair forums comes from posting the wrong answer to your own question.
micalocus541

Post by micalocus541 »

I'll be checking it all out tomorrow, thank you for the advise. Hopefully she's running again soon.
micalocus541

Post by micalocus541 »

I also unplugged this relay an now I don't know where it plugs in at and when I turn the key now it beeeeeps!! Idk what that means an I'm sure it's not a good thing but idk
Attachments

landisr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A 207k miles
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 6k miles
All miles are mine

Post by landisr »

That is the turn signal beeper or warning. It is not critical and can be disconnected. However, since it beeps when you turn the key, it means either the signal switch is on or you have another wiring issue.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Avatar taken at the Pine Breeze Inn, famous from Easy Rider.
micalocus541

Post by micalocus541 »

I found out I took out the ACC terminal and I followed where the red wire went an it connects to both the red wires that come out of my points so I reconnected that an I hope I have that correct but it still won't fire, I put a test light into the end of the spark plug wires an tried turning it over but the test light would not light up or even blink