GL1000 Diodes

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
lethy
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

GL1000 Diodes

Post by lethy »

Hey guys, I came here to ask a few questions about the 77/78 electrical part. First of all, thank you for all the information on the forum.
So, I'm doing a full restoration, and I'd like to modernize it, I'm replacing the fuse box, also the light unit, but I have no idea why is there this diode block, with 4 diodes. I want to know if there's a way to change it to something more modern? I have tested and they are fine, but anyway, I don't want to have problems after the restoration.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1000 Diodes

Post by WingAdmin »

lethy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm Hey guys, I came here to ask a few questions about the 77/78 electrical part. First of all, thank you for all the information on the forum.
So, I'm doing a full restoration, and I'd like to modernize it, I'm replacing the fuse box, also the light unit, but I have no idea why is there this diode block, with 4 diodes. I want to know if there's a way to change it to something more modern? I have tested and they are fine, but anyway, I don't want to have problems after the restoration.
I think you're talking about the rectifier. It changes the three-phase AC coming from the stator into DC before it gets sent onto the regulator (GL1000's have a separate regulator and rectifier).

You can upgrade to a modern combination regulator/rectifier like this one, it will take a little bit of rewiring to do it.
Find This Item on Amazon:
lethy
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Post by lethy »

WingAdmin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:52 pm
lethy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm Hey guys, I came here to ask a few questions about the 77/78 electrical part. First of all, thank you for all the information on the forum.
I think you're talking about the rectifier. It changes the three-phase AC coming from the stator into DC before it gets sent onto the regulator (GL1000's have a separate regulator and rectifier).

You can upgrade to a modern combination regulator/rectifier like this one, it will take a little bit of rewiring to do it.
No, no, I'm talking about the diodes.
/Docs/Honda%20G ... -DDF6B.jpg next to the coils
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

lethy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:57 pm
WingAdmin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:52 pm

No, no, I'm talking about the diodes. next to the coils
Those are the guts of the "reserve lighting unit" circuit - they were put on the bike on 1975-1977 models by Honda because of pending legislation that required motorcycles to switch to high beams automatically should the main low beam burn out, or to switch to the brake light automatically should the taillight burn out. That legislation never came into effect, so the feature was dropped after 1977. There is definitely not a more modern equivalent. They are also not regular diodes, they are zener diodes.

Reserve Lighting Unit
Reserve Lighting Unit

cfairweather
Motorcycle: Two restored 1975 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, two restored 1971 K1 CB750s, 2014 Valkyrie

Post by cfairweather »

You can eliminate the reserve lighting unit easily. Some have also removed the diodes and the resistor too with some minor changes. These diodes are part of the the reserve lighting unit high/low beam and the neutral light circuits. You can find the instructions to remove the RLU in the Chilton's manual.