Adjusting The Clutch On A '76 LTD

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
landisr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A 207k miles
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 6k miles
All miles are mine

Adjusting The Clutch On A '76 LTD

Post by landisr »

Hello again. I am posting this here for the most 'exposure'. If it gets moved to the GL1000 section I will understand. I have been having trouble adjusting my clutch since replacing the cable (new Motion Pro piece). I have the upper and lower cable adjustments backed off completely. The cover is off, of course. The lock nut is loose. But the adjuster screw will not turn in either direction. How do I proceed from here? The bike is obviously disabled at this point. If any member knows someone here that is familiar with the GL1000 clutch mechanism, could you please PM or email them for me?

Many thanks. Ron

I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Avatar taken at the Pine Breeze Inn, famous from Easy Rider.
cfairweather
Motorcycle: Two restored 1975 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, two restored 1971 K1 CB750s, 2014 Valkyrie

Re: Adjusting The Clutch On A '76 LTD

Post by cfairweather »

Maybe there is pressure on the clutch plate. Try moving the clutch lever (8) to see if it is stuck. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... -rear-case
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: Adjusting The Clutch On A '76 LTD

Post by Old Fogey »

First, did the handlebar clutch lever operate the clutch before you changed the cable?
Or more to the point, why did you change the cable?
If not, the cable is not the problem.
Disconnect it from the operating lever and try to move the lever, in either direction.
If you can backwards a fraction that should take any pressure off the adjusting screw.
If the operating lever (or the screw) won't move, you have a bigger problem requiring the clutch housing to be removed to check the mechanism.
'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )