Steering Dampner?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Wamego
Motorcycle: 78 gl1000

Steering Dampner?

Post by Wamego »

At highway speeds she shakes and wobbles at around 75. I don't cruise there much, but when me and the wife do long rides, I like to use the freeways comfortably
I have heard if steering dampeners on sports bikes. Will they work on older bikes? Is there one for a GL1000?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Steering Dampner?

Post by Rambozo »

Check steering stem bearings. A common issue. There are even tapered roller upgrades if you have ball bearings.
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: Steering Dampner?

Post by Old Fogey »

You should not be getting shakes and wobbles at any speed. If you do, there is something wrong. Fitting a steering damper will only mask a problem that in all probability will bite you (and maybe your wife) severely.
Check tyre wear and cupping, tyre pressures, wheel bearings front and rear, steering head bearings, swing arm bearings (I will be amazed if any of those bearings have received any attention in a long while. Very few do it)
'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )