GL1000 idle goes south after 20 min. ride

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
GWCox
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing

GL1000 idle goes south after 20 min. ride

Post by GWCox »

My 78 GL1000 still has stock ignition and fuel system. Fuel system has been completely overhauled in last few weeks...new petcock, hoses, filter, fuel pump (stock), and complete carb overhaul. It will start and run fine, including a smooth idle for about 20 minutes, then the idle goes south and at stop signs, lights, etc. I have to keep the rpms up or it will die. Let it cool down overnight and the same thing will happen...runs great at all rpms for about 20 minutes then rough to no idle.

I've checked fuel flow from tank to pump and tested the fuel pump and all seems fine. Plugs always look very clean with no soot at all.

Any suggestions as to what to check to correct this issue would be appreciated as I like to ride for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Thanks,
GWCox

biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Re: GL1000 idle goes south after 20 min. ride

Post by biguns »

Ride it with the fuel cap loose see if it clears up, the cap has a one way valve that lets air in not out and if it clogs or narrows it can cause lack of fuel
GWCox
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Gold Wing

Post by GWCox »

Thanks, but I've already tried that. As soon as the idle went "off" I stopped and took the gas cap off in case it was pulling a vacuum, but there was no change.
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

It sounds predictable so maybe its electrical, look for charge volts then ballast resistor and coils also check for cracks in the coils. Something may be getting overheated or under volts at around 20 minuets.