Dyna upgrade

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
pablo2020
Motorcycle: 1971 cb 750 ,1970 triumph bonneville ,1976 honda gold wing ltd ,1982 honda cbx

Dyna upgrade

Post by pablo2020 »

I own a 1976 Honda Gold Wing LTD , I bought the bike 5 yrs ago & had to replace the cylinder head gaskets & re-lapped the valves ,re-built the carbs ,changed belts , points & condenesers also did a carb sync .Since then have put on 5000 miles ,the bike works fine & runs cool once warmed up & @ hi-way speeds. The one thing which has bugged me since doing the work is the hard starting ,especially when it has sat for a while or if it's a cold morning .
I am planning on doing a tune-up and was thinking of replacing the points with a dyna system & was wandering if this quite expensive upgrade would help with easier starting or increased performance or what other change would make the bike start easier..

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Dyna upgrade

Post by Rambozo »

Check that your choke system is working properly.
Electronic ignitions do tend to have a hotter spark and don't degrade over time like points. However, if your points are clean and gapped properly it should start right up. If it doesn't you have something else causing that and need to address it.
The main advantage is not having to change points. Probably not a big issue if you don't put a lot of miles on the bike.
pablo2020
Motorcycle: 1971 cb 750 ,1970 triumph bonneville ,1976 honda gold wing ltd ,1982 honda cbx

Post by pablo2020 »

IMO the choke is operating properly as the revs will go above 2000 once started & all the hiccuping belching is done .After reading some past post on this forum think I will convert to an electric pump wired to the kill switch & no relay ,seems like this has solved hard starting issues for a few GL1000 owners as it gives a constant supply of gas.I will leave the mechanical pump in place & just plug the hoses & mount the pump somewhere discreetly .Think I will remove the carbs and re-check float height ,check the small filters are all clean ,check all jets ,ie carb overhaul .Also will replace the points ,but like you mentioned I don't ride the bike that much so they should be in good shape .This won't happen till early next year as still want to get the old girl out a few more times before winter sets in.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I meant to check that the choke actually enriches the fuel mixture, not just raises the idle speed.
Unless the carbs are leaking out the fuel in the float bowls when sitting, the engine should start right up even without a fuel pump. An electric pump will ensure that they are full but it doesn't address the real problem. Also that would not be affected by cold weather.
pablo2020

Post by pablo2020 »

From what I have read with most on the forum these bikes do tend to hard start or atleast some , once it's warmed up it will start on the second crank or first time when using the choke , once I have done the update to electric fuel pump will update here if any change ,if still the same then will do a minor tune-up & remove & check the carbs .There is no external leaking of fuel .
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

I am not sure if they have improved quality , there were guys left stranded from blown out ignition control modules, only to get new ones that again blew out, carry your points and feeler guages etc with you if you go that route..
Very expensive to be unreliable but maybe that has changed, I think there are cheaper alternatives. I think it was here on this forum I read about a low cost electronic ignition. Maybe someone else know, was within the last 6 months it came up.