1976 Brake Light not working with front brake

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Twoup6
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 delux

1976 Brake Light not working with front brake

Post by Twoup6 »

Hi Brainstrust,
I am resurrecting a 1976 GL1000 (been sitting for about thirty years) and all is working with the exception of the brake light when activating the front brake. The following is what I know at this point. This is an Australian bike and therefore no 'Lighting Unit'.

1. Brake light is working when the rear brake is activated
2. There is 12v on the White/Green connection on the pressure switch
3. If I remove the Green/Yellow wire from the pressure switch, there is 12v on the connection when the brake lever is activated.
4. If I reconnect the Green/Yellow wire to the pressure switch and then disconnect the Green/Yellow wire under the seat so that the brake light is disconnected, there is 12v at the rear connection when the front brake is activated. There is also 12v at this connection when the rear brake pedal is activated. (no Lighting Unit so the Green/Yellow wire goes straight to the brake light with the Green/Yellow from the rear brake joining along the way).
5. If I re-connect the Green/Yellow wire under the set, then the light works for the rear brake pedal but not when the front brake lever is activated.

There has to be a simple solution here but I cannot see it - Maybe the pressure switch contacts are corroded and not allowing enough flow.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 1976 Brake Light not working with front brake

Post by Rambozo »

Make your tests with everything hooked up. Start at the battery work your way toward the light bulb. When you don't see 12V on the wire with the lever pulled, your problem is one step back from there. (connector, switch, diode, etc.)
cfairweather
Motorcycle: Two restored 1975 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, two restored 1971 K1 CB750s, 2014 Valkyrie

Post by cfairweather »

To see if the pressure switch is the problem, bypass it. Remove the wires from the pressure switch and connect them together. If the light comes on, the switch is the problem.
Twoup6
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 delux

Post by Twoup6 »

Thanks cfairweather. That's exactly what I did and the switch is the problem.