Honda GL 1000 1976 Resto

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
alain-s
Motorcycle: Honda GL1000 1976 Red

Honda GL 1000 1976 Resto

Post by alain-s »

Hello guys and girls,

Let me introduce my self. My name is Alain and I am from Belgium. A few months ago I bought my self a GL1000 from 1976. Its my first Goldwing, before that I had a Honda CX 500, Yamaha Virago 920. Atm I drive a honda Fireblade from 2004 it has been in my possession for 14years.
I bought the Goldwing because the CX 500 was to light and because the first goldwings really look awesome. :)

So back to the motorcycle. Pick up day, had to go to the Netherlands for this beauty.

Next to the CX

First things first, Start with new fluids. When I drained the oil I noticed the the bold was not original. Someone drilled a bigger hole and tap a new thread but this was not straight so It would never seal unless u add some silicone to it :o

Next I noticed that 1 bolt was different on the veal cover.

and apparently also 3 types of spark plugs.

Next up will be the brakes. One in the front and the back sticks to the disk.

Maybe one of the members can help me with this. When I drive the motorcycle and a go from gear 1 to 2 I always to do it in 2 times it will never go in to second gear from the first time. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks in advance.

GL1000K1dan
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K1

Re: Honda GL 1000 1976 Resto

Post by GL1000K1dan »

Hello Alain-s

Did you meet and talk to the seller of the bike ?
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Yes when I bought the bike, but he had the motorcycle for only 1 year. I think this is the work from a few different owners. :cry:
GL1000K1dan

Post by GL1000K1dan »

In that case, you have many things to check.
How's your wallet looking ?
There's plenty of information in this forum for project bikes like yours so get stuck in.
Post a message if you need specific advice.
bigbuckguy
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by bigbuckguy »

As far as your brakes go. I got my dad's bike back on the road after sitting in his garage for 29 years. The back brake was not sticking but the fronts were. I replaced the fluid, bled them and worked them in and out for quite some time. To my amazement I did not have to rebuild them. I may have just been lucky or it was stored well (out of the elements). Good luck. :D
suburbanscott
Motorcycle: '76 GL1000 Gold Wing

Post by suburbanscott »

Congratulations on getting the '76 'wing. I got mine new in 1977, used it for years, parked it for years and then had to do restoration because it sat so long.
Check you timing belts! Not checking cost me a bent valve when it broke. I changed all the brake fluid to dot 5 which doesn't seem to attract moisture as much. Sitting still also cost me a carb rebuild. I had to clean out the fuel tank as well. DEF diesel additive believe it or not will remove the rust in the tank. I've replaced the stator, the drive shaft, starter switch and several other minor things. Parts are getting pretty hard to find.
It's a fine old bike and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
77Goldwing
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Post by 77Goldwing »

"because the first goldwings really look awesome."

Agree, which is why I keep my 1977 (I bought it in 1978 as the second owner with 1500 miles). I did have another discussion with my wife the other day that I might like to add a Harley to the stable, but I was again told I would have to sell the GW. So, we will spend the GW's 40s and my 70s together.
1977 Goldwing GL1000
Vetter SS fairing/lowers; custom saddle seat
Purchased 6/30/1978, 1585 miles

1973 CB450/K6 (sold) (1976-Schenectady NY to Guadalajara MX and back)
1972 CB100 (sold)
TruusjeTurbo
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K2

Post by TruusjeTurbo »

Hi Alain! I'm restoring a GL1000 '76 too, step by step. Lot's of work to do still. I can find lots of parts in Germany, via Ebay Kleinanzeigen and via www.cmsnl.com (they use handy spare parts drawings and lists).
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Thanks for the heads up guys!

In the meanwhile started to work on the brakes. Dissembled everything to check the condition of the parts.

2K primer

2K paint

While I was busy I had the bolts electroplated.

Shame that the spring pads got broken in the process. But already got them replaced.

Time to rebuild everything. Replaced the pistons with stainless steel ones so they would last forever.

Just need to install it on the motorcycle. Replaced the brake lines with woven steel ones.

Waiting for new water pump and original exhaust.
77Goldwing

Post by 77Goldwing »

Where did you find an original exhaust? I know you stated parts were available in Germany, but I have not been able to find that here in the US.
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Found one in Holland. And for now there is also one for sale in Belgium with some work on.
Asphaltmaniac
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
Black 2006 1800 Goldwing.
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Post by Asphaltmaniac »

Have fun and good luck with it. My brother had an 1000 it was yellow. He wasent riding it, he threw me the keys and I put 100 miles a day for 6 months going to school every day. I called it the banana barge. Got my 1st wing an 86 Aspencade still in the box brand new in 1988. Swapped in out for an 2006 1800. I say goldwings forever!!
Johnie
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by Johnie »

Just picked up a 76 GL1000 sulfur yellow with 15,553 miles on it. Looks pretty nice once I got it cleaned up. Now the mechanical stuff. There was a fairing on it and the PO cut a lot of wires so I will be going through that too. Good luck with yours...it is looking good.
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Its has been a while now when I posted something. Did a few rides with goldwing and I was not very pleased with it. When hot the engine miss fired a few time. Probably bad ignition coils of spark plug caps. Also when going from first gear to second gear I always have to shift 2times I never could get it in second from first time.

I also noticed when the bike is on its side stand that cylinder nr2 always get floated with fuel. That is why i decided to rebuild the carburetors at once. Forgot to take some pictures of how the looked. But the result will be good.

Put everything in ultrasoon and coated all the nuts bolts again.

New rubber is a must when rebuilding.

All back together.

After a few weeks I decided that I would do a complete restoration of the bike.

Cilinder 1

Cilinder 2

Cilinder 3

Cilinder 4

Main Bearing 1

Main bearing 2

Main Bearing 3

Lucky me, the main bearings are all brown there are still available

Connecting rod bearing 1

Connecting rod bearing 2

Connecting rod bearing 3

Connecting rod bearing 4

The crankshaft will be polished and the cylinders will be drilled out and honed again for oversize pistons
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Small Update
Oversized pistons arrived and brought the engine to the shop to drill and hone the pistons. All the pieces have blasted very carefully.

Cover the inside with some ducktape in the hope that the glassbeats wont enter the oil channels

Meanwhile I removed the needlebearings from the swingarm.

Same process for the other side.

One of the previous owners powdercoated the steering lock as well. And there was no key when I purchased the bike. So I had to drill it out.

Next on the to do list was repairing a previous mistake. At some point the support for the center stand probably rusted and had to be replaced. And they did a bad job at it. They builded there own from scratch. With makes that the motorcycle couldn't be placed correctly on the center stand.

This pieces need to be replaced with a other piece from scrap frame.

While I was waiting for the engine from the machine shop I started to clean the inside of the fuel tank. I noticed that the fuel filter was full of rust.

Tank god for youtube. apparently there a few methods to remove rust from the inside. I started with electrolysis positive charge to Iron piece in the tank and negative charge on the tank it self.
I fulled the tank with hot water and bicarbonate and place a piece of iron in the tank. Hook it up to a battery and let it sit for a day.

After 24h I flushed the tank and dried it with a hot air blower. But this immediately made flash rust on the inside.

To remove this I used hot water with citric acid and let it sit over night.

Next day I flushed the tank again and filled the inside with some towels to prevent flash rust. This had the best result.

When everything was dry I added 1l of 2stroke oil in the tank to prevent it from rusting.
GL1000K1dan

Post by GL1000K1dan »

Very inspiring alain-s, keep up the great work and the photos are very informative. Well done.
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Thank you Dan!

And hello again sorry for the long wait but there was a lot of progress.
The engine came back from the machine shop and the part that I needed to restore the original center stand.

In previous post you could that there was tempered with the center stand. Got the part from a scrap frame and welded it on the frame.

Welded to parts.

The frame and the other parts are ready for powdercoating. In the meantime while I wait for the parts to be ready from the coater I started to polish the aluminum.

Did this is 5 steps where 3 of the where done with sanding mat of different texture. And the other 2 with polishing wheel.

Not really a clean job.

You can see the difference between the light sanding mat and the first polish.

Here is the difference with the final polish

Time to clean the garage.

Rebuilding the front suspension with new seals.

And again plated the all the hardware.

Got the engine back.

Beofre

After

Next step is cleaning the surface area. Got a piece of granite in the living room to make the surface flat again. Before I started I checked if it was flat.

When all the parts where done it was time to paint the casings.

Finally the fun parts rebuilding. Got new mainbearings for the engine. I was lucky I needed the brown ones those are still available. The conrod bearing I couldnt find anymore. Before I used them again I measured everything with plasticgage and all where withing specs.

made a small improvement with the chain tensioner. Installed one from a later model.

replaced all the springs.

bought a bracket from drainpipe that had the perfect size to comperes the pistons rings.

While the engine is open I installed a new alternator.

New springs for the clutch. I also checked all the clutch plates and there where within specs.

Had to do a little improf to tighten the bolt.

Rebuilded the starter with new coils.

Installed the back of the engine.

And had to test the kickstater :)

The cylinder heads where also done. New valve guides and grinde all the valves. Also had the cylinder heads machined.

waiting for new belts and belt tensioners

Next update will start with rebuilding the motorcycle when I get the parts back from the coater.
landisr
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A 207k miles
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 6k miles
All miles are mine

Post by landisr »

Amazing. Just amazing.

Following.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Avatar taken at the Pine Breeze Inn, famous from Easy Rider.
77Goldwing

Post by 77Goldwing »

That is spectacular work. I am so jealous of the aluminum polishing, let alone all of the chrome work and powder coating. It will look better than new.

And I am astonished you can take all those pieces apart and somehow remember how they all go back together. I did a 1948 Chevrolet I-6 myself once, and it was far less complex.

At this point in my life, a "resto" consists of detailing and waxing the scooter, then checking the tire pressure.
1977 Goldwing GL1000
Vetter SS fairing/lowers; custom saddle seat
Purchased 6/30/1978, 1585 miles

1973 CB450/K6 (sold) (1976-Schenectady NY to Guadalajara MX and back)
1972 CB100 (sold)
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Thanks guys!

sorry for the delay on the update but made a lot of progress. All the parts are back from the coater and they look great. :)

Installing new steering lock

Time to install the frame on the engine.

You maybe remember that I had to repair the center stand on the frame. Because one of the previous owners did there own thing instead of repairing it the correct way.
Well the center stand it self was also tampered with. So I will have to look for a other stand.

But there are plenty of other thing to do with all the new coated parts so lets continue.

While I waited for the the parts from the coater I got the parts back from aquablasting. And they look very nice.

Installed new bearings.

Polished one wheel, you can see the difference very good. Well it took me 4hour for 1 wheel :/

And added new spokes to it to. for fine tuning I will bring to someone who knows what he is doing.

Installed the old belt tensioner so I could adjust the valve clearance. These will be replace with new ones.

You guys probably know expensive the belt tensioner are. To save some money and to make it bit more future prove. I installed some SKF rollers from a car.

A Honda mechanic gave me this tip to save money. And also for the next maintenance when they need to be replaced.

Test fit and it works.

Removed some parts of the bolt. So the weld will a solid connection.

Also had them galvanized and new springs.

Almost look like it came from the factory like this. :)

Dissembled the fuel meter and gauges and had those also galvanized with some other parts.

Fuel meter back together.

Next up the wire loom. This is one of those jobs you always delay till the end. The reason I made a new one is they tampered with this one and a few wires where broken. And if you can find a new one you need to pay a few hundred euro's for it. So the only option for this build was to make a new one.

Replaced the wires on the fuse box and added 1 extra wire the red one for the electronic ignition. This cable is also added to the wire loom.

Then the steering controls had to be done. Sand blasted them and painted afterwards. Also replaced all the wires.

All back together.

With the next update the goldwing will be back on its wheel and I will get some parts back that where chromed.
77Goldwing

Post by 77Goldwing »

I continue to be stunned not just by the quality of your work and the attention to detail*, but how you can remember how all the pieces go back together. This is amazing.

*Like finding the red paint pen to detail in the letters on the handlebar controls.
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Tanks 77Goldwing,

Well you take a lot of pictures. Atm i have around 900 pictures of this motorcycle. :p Also for the bolts where goes where I use cmsnl.com a lot then you can see what size u need.

The red pen comes from my wife she had it laying around else I had buy some paint.
alain-s

Post by alain-s »

Hello again!

Parts that are chromed are back, and the look good!

I had a extra set of front legs that has been rechromed also. This is not the same as normal chrome. In Belgium we call it hard chrome. You can see the difference between the ones that are done (left) and still original (right)

Other parts from the coater are back.

And some new parts as well.

One of the previous owners installed a hella car light, why who knows.

For the electronic ignition. I picked one from Sparcon insteat of dyna. Sparcon is a dutch company that makes these parts them self.

Time to install everything.

Got the wheel back with some fresh rubber.

Got a new cover for the seat. the rest of the parts will be installed later.

Polished the belt covers.

Bought a second hand radiator with a leak in. But closed it with some solder. And repainted it.

Installed the radiator and added coolant and fuel in the fueltank.

First time of the work bench. Time to test drive.

While it test, I can continue with the panels.

Next update will be painted panels :D
TruusjeTurbo
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K2

Post by TruusjeTurbo »

Hi Alain, great and inspiring what you're doing! We met in Belfeld NL last Sunday ;). So into details but wondering why you didn't go for the original muffler? Best regards from Trudy.
mikethebike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL 1000

Post by mikethebike »

Great work my friend
I restored my 1975 gold wing it took me 4 years