CRAZY clutch issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Jabbekot
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

CRAZY clutch issue

Post by Jabbekot »

Hi all.
I own a 1976 (I think) GL1000. I've had it for apx 8 years and bought it completely oroginal. Now the time has come to replace the clutch. At least the friction plates and cable...
BUT! Somehow the plates I bought bike specific from Vesrah are too small in diameter. And apparently so are the other frictionplates from for example TRW, Lucas and EBC. So my friction plates are bigger.
Does any of you guys and girls know why? Is there a model specific explanation?
I've attached some pics... On one pic you can see one of the old friction plates behind the new one....
I'm looking forward to get some help as I REALY need new frisction plates in the right diameter (157mm apx)
Thx and regards from Denmark
Attachments

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Re: CRAZY clutch issue

Post by Old Fogey »

From your numbers, you do have an early 76.
The first of the 1000s had the same size clutch as the CB750. It was a composite clutch; steel basket on an alloy base. This was changed in 76 to a one piece steel basket which I believe used the larger friction plates, although the steel plates stayed the same right through to the 1200.
So I'm guessing that you need the 750 plates as the first of the 76 models came out at the end of 75.
'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )
Jabbekot

Re: CRAZY clutch issue **SOLVED**

Post by Jabbekot »

The partnr that fits is EBC CK1221 if anyone finds themselves in that situation :D