76 gl1000 runs rough after hard acceleration - dodge neon ignition mod

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
based76gl1000
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

76 gl1000 runs rough after hard acceleration - dodge neon ignition mod

Post by based76gl1000 »

I got a 76 honda gl1000 with 19k miles that I just bought, Although I haven't looked into the carburetors the previous owner said they were new, he did give me the original carbs that came on the bike and what I'm experiencing seems to be an ignition issue, The engine was running rough and instead of getting the absurdly expensive ignition I decided to swap in the dodge neon ignition coils, I did the coils, the ignition cables, and the spark plugs, I put in the ballast resistor that was recommended by Randakk's article https://www.randakksblog.com/ballast-re ... procedure/ NAPA (Echlin) Ballast Resistor #ICR13. Bike has a new battery in it and I did replace the original ignition solenoid with a new one (I'll be it a smaller one). I did make the bracket for the new ignition coils out of aluminum and after realizing that the ignition coil was grounded by what it's mounted to I ran an additional ground cable from one of the mounting bolts to the frame which seemed to help some. So far the bike runs great, it does not skip a beat if I take it easy but the moment I give it some throttle and let her breathe above 6k RPM the engine seems to run a little rougher, the more I do it the rougher it gets, eventually starts to give me some crackles and pops at the 2-3 thousand RPM range when cruising or lightly accelerating, also causes the headlight to flicker a little bit when it begins to run rough and under acceleration. What is also noteworthy is that one of the previous owners has installed from what I can tell, looks to be a dynatek digital ignition timing system to the bike in replacement of the original ignitor, not sure if it's playing well with the dodge neon coils. Any input from possibly anybody with a similar setup that I got would be appreciated, this bike is in really great cosmetic shape and I want to get it to run as good as it looks.