Cam belt pulley removal

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
major domo
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000

Cam belt pulley removal

Post by major domo »

Need to remove the cam belt pulley on the LH side (as if sitting on the bike) to replace leaking seal behind it. The issue is trying to find a narrow-arm puller to fit between the pulley and the rear belt housing. The ones on Amazon get mixed reviews, so looking for a brand reccomendation. Also, should I get a puller with maximun adjustable opening of 6 or 8 inch?Thanks in advance!

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing 8 : 1982 gl1100 standard.

Re: Cam belt pulley removal

Post by winguyjo »

how did you make out ? i was able to do it simply by prying carefully with a good sized screwdriver against the housing, rapping on the sprocket with a hammer, then repositioning and doing this several times. eventually the sprocket moved a hair and then i hammered it back . repeat as necessary, apply penetrating oil and it was off in about 3 minutes. FULL DISCLOSURE : i have a decent hoard of parts so i could afford to have the fragile cast aluminum housing break if it came to that, but if you apply reasonably light pressure with your screwdrivers you should be ok.
cfairweather
Motorcycle: Two restored 1975 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, two restored 1971 K1 CB750s, 2014 Valkyrie

Re: Cam belt pulley removal

Post by cfairweather »

Harbor Freight sells a cheap set of three pullers. The small one will work.