Oil Leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Jonnygrey
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Oil Leak

Post by Jonnygrey »

Had the exhaust off off my 82 gl1100 to replace the starter. Busted the lower bolt and have been messing with it off and on the last few weeks. Put the starter back on with just the upper bolt until I can get someone to help me out with the bolt. i broke an easy out off so there's that. Noticed tonight there was a small puddle of oil on the right hand side and some all-around the exhaust manifold. I did run the bike for a few seconds just to test the starter. Any ideas if it was from running the bike without the exhaust connected or maybe something else. Bike has been on the center stand and has not been run because of the weather and starter for several months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Oil Leak

Post by RBGERSON »

Getting the easy out out maybe be a real problem..very hard to drill. Can you grab the end at all?? If so lean the bike on it's side apply solvent 50/50 acetone/atf a very good solvent to loosen the bolt..try it for a couple of days keep applying solvent..then heat and try to remove. If you can grab it..take to a machine shop on what drill may be able to drill out an easy out..You can get a bolt to match at Ace or Honda..its' a 6x28 take the one yoiu do have to Ace and find a match they are the same. If yoiu buy the studs form me I throwing a 6x68 if I have one.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Jonnygrey

Post by Jonnygrey »

So today I thought I would try to find out where the oil was leaking from. It looked like the valve cover gasket was the culprit. I tried to tighten the bolts. Me being me snapped one of the bolts. Got the cover off and found that the valve cover had a small piece missing where the leak was coming from.

Any ideas how this could of happened? Other then buying a new/used valve cover is there any fix?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Looks like it was installed wrong at some point and damaged in the process, and the damaged part finally decided that it was about time to start leaking. Replacing it is about the only way to fix this.
Jonnygrey

Post by Jonnygrey »

I believe the right and left valve covers are the same, am I correct? Will other years fit my 1982 Aspy? Thanks again for all the help.
I did get the broken piece of bolt out today so it was a good day for me.
Jag
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Jag »

All the 1100 engines used the same valve cover. Yes left and right are the same. So 1980 - 1983 I believe would all fit.
sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

Is the valve cover broke or is the seal broke. If the seal is broke well you just need a new seal. If the cover itself is broke then well you need a new cover. Not trying to be a smart ass but use a torque wrench and torque to specs that way you lessen the chance of breaking a bolt off.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed
Jag

Post by Jag »

I personally would advise you to get an original oem cover. On my 1982 the PO had gotten those "chromed" covers and they are much cheaper in construction. My brothers 83 aspy had the oem and I have replaced the cover gaskets on both and the chromed ones on the 82 were leaking and upon inspection both had breaks in the metal edges and were missing pieces. Anyway my point is there was NO comparison between the 2 in quality not even close.
Jonnygrey

Post by Jonnygrey »

Ordered a used valve cover from e bay. From the picture it looks to be in decent shape. Plan on going to the Honda dealer and getting a new gasket. The valve cover itself has a small chunk out of it. Not sure how that happened. Looks like PO tried to use some black sealant to fix it. It must of worked for a little while.
I have a knack for busting bolts. I know I should of known better but........ My girlfriend even bought me a brand new, really nice Torque Wrench for Christmas. I'll learn from this mistake and take the time to look up the specs and use the Torque Wrench, much easier to do it the right way, instead of drilling out a broken bolt and using an easy-out.
Thanks again for all the input. I have a lot to learn but, having help from everyone here makes it a lot easier.
Jag

Post by Jag »

If you look at the valve cover bolts you will see they actually have stops on them to try and prevent smashing the poop outta the gaskets thus ruining them. Gaskets are not meant to be super smashed :D
4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Post by 4wred »

"I have a knack for busting bolts. I know I should of known better but........ My girlfriend even bought me a brand new, really nice Torque Wrench for Christmas. I'll learn from this mistake and take the time to look up the specs and use the Torque Wrench, much easier to do it the right way, instead of drilling out a broken bolt and using an easy-out.
Thanks again for all the input. I have a lot to learn but, having help from everyone here makes it a lot easier.[/quote]"

After years of wrenching I can feel when a bolt is getting to the point where it may break.I always tell people that have your problem when using a wrench or socket to tighten with your hand farther up towards the fastener so you don't have enough leverage to break the bolt.I do this all the time when turning in a smaller bolt with a 3/8 ratchet.Then finish up with a torque wrench if required.
JimJamerino
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Post by JimJamerino »

I try to use a torque wrench, but if I don't have one, I'll use the finger-torque technique. Push on the end of the ratchet or wrench with one finger for ~10 pounds of torque, two fingers for ~20 pounds. Is it scientific and exact? Of course not, but it keeps me from breaking bolts.
Jonnygrey

Post by Jonnygrey »

Bought a used valve cover from eBay. Bought a new gasket from a Honda dealer, along with the rubber bushings. Figured I would change them while I had the cover off. Are the rubber bushings hard to get on? I plan on cutting the old ones off. Do they just slip over the end of the bolt or is there a trick to it? Should I lubricate the gasket and if so with what? Is there torque specs on the valve cover bolts or should I just stop when they feel tight. I already snapped one bolt and do not want to repeat that mistake again.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The "bushings" do indeed slip on over the end of the bolt. Put some oil on them to help them slide on they aren't easy but aren't exactly hard either. Just lube the valve cover gasket with oil both sides well and don't use any sealer. I believe the bolts torque is like 9 ft lbs. If you look at the bolts you will see an expanded "ring" right above the threads. This is designed to "bottom out" the bolt so you don't over tighten it and ruin the gasket. So just tighten them til you feel them bottom out and "snug" it or better yet use that gift from your gf.