Voltage Regulator

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Voltage Regulator

Post by stevenstrack »

Frustrated with my old wing. Hasn't been running now for almost a year. I have had other issues which have consumed most of my time but thought I should try again and get this bike fixed. I think i may have original fried my voltage regulator, i believe when my battery was half dead last year that i did the unthinkable and tried to jump it off my running jeep battery. Yea, I realize now that that is a big problem. So I decided to replace the voltage regulator and bought one from Caltric (Amazon Prime), well it appears this new regulator is cheap for a reason as it appears to be missing the ground wire. So I just emailed seller to ask for a replacement that has a ground. My question is there a certain regulator available that i should purchase instead? The one i got was made in China. Another morning waisted on this bike, she is beginning to really piss me off although I know its not her fault. Please Help!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Voltage Regulator

Post by RBGERSON »

One sold here by wingadmin.............
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

stevenstrack wrote:Frustrated with my old wing. Hasn't been running now for almost a year. I have had other issues which have consumed most of my time but thought I should try again and get this bike fixed. I think i may have original fried my voltage regulator, i believe when my battery was half dead last year that i did the unthinkable and tried to jump it off my running jeep battery. Yea, I realize now that that is a big problem. So I decided to replace the voltage regulator and bought one from Caltric (Amazon Prime), well it appears this new regulator is cheap for a reason as it appears to be missing the ground wire. So I just emailed seller to ask for a replacement that has a ground. My question is there a certain regulator available that i should purchase instead? The one i got was made in China. Another morning waisted on this bike, she is beginning to really piss me off although I know its not her fault. Please Help!
Is this the main voltage reg/rect or the 7v reg for the gauges?
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by stevenstrack »

It's for the main, under the false tank. I figured I would just change it to see if this fixes my starting problem. Pretty sure I may have damaged it when I tried to jump it off my running Jeep.
sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

I will agree buy the one that is on this site. Best one you can get.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver »

Getting pissed off at it is probably or more than likely what we all have been through,,, I know I came up with a whole new vocabulary working on the wiring the guy before me did on this bike I have... seriously, he had parts from a 79 on my 81 and I was trying to figure out what in the heck the rear fender came from..OMG,, pulling my freaking hair out... It was endless, one problem after another after another,, man alive...I fudged with it for so long I started getting good at it....Now,, all I do is ride it...Haven't working on it for some time now.... Fixed or changed just about everything on it... It was worth it...I about had a fit over the electrical system (regulator/rectifier) so much so that I did the poorboy alt.
conversion on it...Never looked back... :D