GL1100i Leaking fuel/oil from #4 carb near pilot and float

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
obiwanrazzy
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

GL1100i Leaking fuel/oil from #4 carb near pilot and float

Post by obiwanrazzy »

I've been working through tuneup and troublshooting low mileage (~27mpg) on my new to me 1980 GL1100i. Bike seems to have been well maintained, is generally clean and has only 29300 mi. Runs well at speed. Idle is a little rough but I've been expecting that to go away once I get some Vacuum gauges and sync the carbs. So far I've changed the oil (was relatively clean and did not smell of gas), adjusted valves, changed plugs, re-adjusted valves after realizing it sounded to "clicky" (I had it a little sloppy on #2 intake and #4 exhaust).

To do: Possibly reset the idle/mixture screws on each carb, and carb sync for sure, maybe also compression test. Plugs seem a little dark to me but I'm not sure if the last person to change them didn't just use oil on the threads as anti-seize..

Any thoughts? Could I have botched the valve adj so bad to cause oil to blow back? Does this mean worn piston rings?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: GL1100i Leaking fuel/oil from #4 carb near pilot and float

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Those plugs look OK to me. What sort of riding do you do - short trips and stop start or longer rides.

The fuel bowl for that carb needs to come off - and be cleaned up - probably may need to reset float level or clean a dirty needle seat, it may be flooding a bit.

Turn your fuel off and remove the inlet hose to the carbs, then use a measuring cup to drain each carb and compare the fuel level in each one - they should be relatively the same amounts.
Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

I concur. Float bowl seal or floats need checked. Floats can bend over the years due to vibration, and cause such problems. Dirt can also interfere with the proper operation of the needle valves.
Only way to adjust float and clean is to pull the whole rack, and if you do that, you might want to think of rebuilding carbs. Regards, Johnny
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Those plugs look OK to me. What sort of riding do you do - short trips and stop start or longer rides.
So far shorter rides. Just got it a couple weeks ago. That'll change hopefully.
Aussie81Interstate wrote:The fuel bowl for that carb needs to come off - and be cleaned up - probably may need to reset float level or clean a dirty needle seat, it may be flooding a bit.

Turn your fuel off and remove the inlet hose to the carbs, then use a measuring cup to drain each carb and compare the fuel level in each one - they should be relatively the same amounts.
Is there a port to drain each bowl from or will I need to pull the rack and separate to drain each? Any point to running Seafoam through to clean and re-adjusting the pilot screws per the service procedure before I resort to pulling and doing a rebuild?

Thanks for the replies!
Johnyy Smoke

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

There is a screw that lets you drain the bowl, right above the idle adjusting screw.
Yes, by all means, try sea foam first! Run a tank of gas thru it and see.
Check and see if the vents on the gas cap are not clogged. This can cause such a problem.
I still lean toward a bent/misadjusted float in this situation ,however, a sea foam treatment can surprise you with the results!
Keep us informed. Regards, Johnny
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Sounds good. Yeah, after doing a little reading I realized that the idle mix pilot screws probably don't affect the over all lean/rich mixture other than in at an idle.. So it sounds like at some point here I should pull the rack, do a rebuild and get everything properly sorted. But for now, Seafoam is in and I've sync'd the carbs (#2 was pulling harder by about 9-10mm Hg). I'll take a look at those vents too. Will report back in a week or so.

Thanks again!
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (sold)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer II"- current
2006 kawasaki vulcan 1600- current

Post by made2care »

I rebuilt my carbs twice and still continued to have problems with leaks, tuning and fouling plugs.
I decided to try a single carb setup and since then, will never go back to stock.
spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout »

Seafoam isn't going to fix that leaking bowl and your plugs look fine, not overly rich or lean, meaning your mixture is probably ok. Btw, that's fuel residue on the carb, not oil. How many tanks of fuel have you run through it since you got it?
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Hey.. sorry so long to reply. Just spent the weekend working on it tho and thought I'd post the latest.

In answer, I've probably put 6 or 7 tanks through it so far. It's been fairly consistent at 27-29 mpg except the last was more like 25. Good to know it's not oil in there.. I feel like that would be a bad thing. As to the rich/lean question you make a good point on the plugs, although to be honest I'm not sure how many miles that last set had on them. I think based on conversation with the PO that it wasn't much. 1000 at the very most, maybe less. At any rate, it did seem to me that it was smelling pretty gassy from the exhaust. So that brings me to this weekend's work.

I pulled the carb rack, pulled the float bowls off and did a check of the distance from carb body to float arm (per the shop manual). They were all a little short (i.e. floats too high and therefore rich) of the spec which is 15.5 mm on the 1100. Number 4 was especially far off in the rich direction. I wonder if it wasn't over filling. I do think I need to get a full set of gaskets, in fact the full rebuild kit, as soon as time an money permit. Anyway, for now I adjusted them all, put it all back together, synced the carbs again and did a test drive. Seems to pull good. In comparison it was starting to falter a bit between 2500 and 3000 rpm and now it's pretty much smooth all the way through. Remains to be seen if this has any effect on the mileage tho. I'll report back with my findings after a couple tanks.
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Has it stopped leaking ?
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

So far so good. I had a test ride yesterday and another this morning. Might be a little sweating right at the seam of the float bowl and carb housing on all of them, but nothing that looks like full on leakage. That said, I didn't really get on it hard so I don't know for sure yet.
Sparky4017
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing aspencade 1100
95 BMW 750 (The Flying Brick)
84 goldwing aspencade 1200 SOLD

Post by Sparky4017 »

Nice ride I don't worry about gas mileage as long as gas isn't leaking on the ground or out the tail pipes did you change your timing belts ? Here is my 83 I like it much better then my 84 8-)

Sparky4017
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing aspencade 1100
95 BMW 750 (The Flying Brick)
84 goldwing aspencade 1200 SOLD

Post by Sparky4017 »

Just noticed last night that my 34 year old fuel pump is leaking out the weep hole just don't make them like they used to HAHA. 8-)
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Short update: After a few rides where things seemed a lot better, the mileage went back down and the gas smell back up. I'm now leaking in a few places around the bowls and maybe the accelerator pump. I can see it pooling on the engine case under all the carbs (mostly 4 and 3 it seems tho) Just ordered the bowl gasket set from Randakks. I'd get the whole rebuild kit, but can't really afford that at the moment so I'm going to start here and hope it helps.
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Okay.. so, bowl seals arrived and I finally had time to pull the carbs and swap them out. Definitely no leaking now. However.. idle is a little rough and pulling away in 1st shudders like I'm trying to pull away from a stop in 2nd. Once I'm moving there is plenty of power (in fact it almost seems like more, or it revs more eagerly, idk). Also it's a little more growley when reving than before. I wrung it out to redline in 2nd at one point and on deceleration I did get a backfire..

So my first thought was to re-sync the carbs. I did that (they were off, of course), but engine behaves the same. I also saw another post on here mentioning a way to check intake manifold by running an unlit propane torch near the seams. Did that and no affect. Only thing is maybe I either bumped an idle set screw unknowingly or perhaps I just knocked a bit of gunk loose somewhere and it's in an idle passage? Gonna Seafoam again and see what happens. At least I'm not dripping gas anymore. Yay for that.
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Number 1 cylinder is definitely not firing. The exhaust header doesn't get hot even after idling for a few minutes (all others do).

What I've checked:

-Spark: Checked with both the existing plug and an old one that I know to be good. Compared with number 3 and looks the same.

-Vacuum: Vacuum tested per the carb sync procedure and it's drawing air in sync with number 3. If I dial it up or down it changes appropriately.This suggests to me that I can rule out setting the intake manifold seal improperly as a culprit, but I don't know if I'm off base in assuming that.

-Fuel: I added a small amount of gas thru the vacuum port on number 1 and it surged. So I'm guessing fuel starvation. Does this seem right? Should I pull the carbs again and check the float, and generally clean out number 1? Any other thoughts?

-Matt
Johnyy Smoke

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

Sounds like the float is off, yep- do a check on the float and a cleaning. Regards, Johnny
obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

I think it's finally sorted (knock on wood).

Pulled them again, adjusted that #1 float. Also noticed a couple of the intake o-rings were chewed up pretty bad so I replaced them. I don't think this was the issue with #1 not firing since that o-ring seemed fine but it probably wasn't helping things overall. Got it all back together and carbs re-balanced today. Did a quick test ride and it's running great. I'll do a longer run once it stops raining...