Cranks & fires but wont start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Shortypit
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100

Cranks & fires but wont start

Post by Shortypit »

Changed the stator, plugs and battery bike cranks has spark to plugs and has full tank of gas but still wont start does anyone know what else could be the problem

Jag
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Cranks & fires but wont start

Post by Jag »

Did it run for you prior to the stator change? How long has it sat since the last time you had run it??

I believe and someone correct me if I am wrong but on these older motorcycles I think you only need spark, compression and fuel to run. Might not run awesome due to some issues but should sputter/run. Just because the fuel tank is full doesn't mean fuel is actually reaching the cylinders. Quick check method some people agree with some don't is you could open the air breather and spray WD 40 in while cranking or if you want to be really aggressive starting fluid. If its just a not getting fuel from the tank this a way to test. Another method is you could start at either the carb bowls or the petcock and see if you are actually getting fuel at least to the carbs. All this of course is assuming that you do have spark and compression. Check all the simple things first then move on from there is necessary.
Shortypit

Post by Shortypit »

Yes it did it ran great i was riding it then it wasnt holding charge took it to a motorcycle garage and they told me it was the stator and was wanting 1200 to do the job so i googled how to change stator put on and now it wont start i do get spark and it is cranking but it wont start
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

A dry set of carbs needs a lot of cranking to fill the bowls. You need to find out if fuel is reaching the carb bowls. There are drain bolts at the bottom of each bowl. Loosen and see if fuel has reached the bowls. Loosen fuel hose at outlet of fuel pump. Is fuel being pumped? Kill switch on??? petcock on??? Need more info.
Shortypit

Post by Shortypit »

Is there anyway it could of jumped time from the back where i took stator out there was a drive shaft back there i had to lock it back in and turned it i didnt mess with the timing belts its trying to start and its backfiring loud its kinda scaring me i dont want to mess anything thing up
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Shortypit wrote:Is there anyway it could of jumped time from the back where i took stator out there was a drive shaft back there i had to lock it back in and turned it i didnt mess with the timing belts its trying to start and its backfiring loud its kinda scaring me i dont want to mess anything thing up
No way to mess up the timing back there.
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

there is a small pin that fits into the shaft extension after the case is installed. it engages to the mechanical advance unit to drive it and time it with respect to the crank shaft. if it was omitted (or fell out, it is small and could go unnoticed) then the ignition timing would be off and would cause the symptoms you have.

best of luck.
Shortypit

Post by Shortypit »

What does the pin look like and where does the pin go
Shortypit

Post by Shortypit »

:( when i try to start it back fires
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

this is the best image of the shaft i could find.
Attachments

Jag
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Jag »

This could very well be your culprit if your timing is set correctly in regards to your cams and your crank. Considering this issue falls on the heels of a stator replacement hmmm Indianakid wow good call even if it turns out not to be that I sure learned something !!!

Shortypit go to the link above at the top of the page to manuals and then gl1100 1980 then scroll down to page 76 you will see the shaft and such Indianakid is talking about it and its relationship to the pulse generator and such.