Carburetor Kit recommendations requested

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Carburetor Kit recommendations requested

Post by cyberlon »

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, but I am certainly not new to using forums as a way to get great ideas. I've had an opportunity to read through some older posts concerning carb kits but decided to open a new topic instead of trying to revive or hijack an old thread.
Many of the members of this forum will have much more extensive knowledge than I currently possess, so what I really wanted to know is your collective opinions as to the best kit available for my 1982 Goldwing Interstate 1100 that I recently picked up. Prior to my purchase, this bike had sat outside under a cover and occasionally started by the previous owner. Unfortunately, it didn't run as well as he indicated so I am rebuilding it so I can put some good highway miles on her. Originally, I thought all it would take was a cleaning of the carburetor, but after getting it out (not as easy as my other bikes) and tearing into it, I see some bad gaskets and the diaphragm in the accelerator pump is wrecked. One of the other threads recommended a kit from Randakks (https://www.randakks.com/gl1100-combo-offer.html) and it looks great, but if I search on the site that got me a good kit for a Suzuki that I rescued, they only offer a kit from K&L that only does one carb at a time. My fear is that this K&L kit will not come with the part I know NEEDS replaced. Are there other options out there for this bike or have I already stumbled upon the best option currently available in the form of the Randakks kit? I have other questions, but I'd like to get this ordered soon, so any feedback you fine people offer would certainly be appreciated.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Carburetor Kit recommendations requested

Post by spiralout »

cyberlon wrote:... have I already stumbled upon the best option currently available in the form of the Randakks kit?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

spiralout wrote:
cyberlon wrote:... have I already stumbled upon the best option currently available in the form of the Randakks kit?
thumbs.jpg
Spiralout's reply says all you need to know! :D

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
cyberlon

Post by cyberlon »

I thank you for your prompt reply, and I am glad that the information from a years-old post is still valid. I have already placed my order with Randakks, and look forward to getting this bike up and running soon so I can post a picture that has a complete engine. (the carb is still sitting on my bench for now)
spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout »

cyberlon wrote:I thank you for your prompt reply, and I am glad that the information from a years-old post is still valid. I have already placed my order with Randakks, and look forward to getting this bike up and running soon so I can post a picture that has a complete engine. (the carb is still sitting on my bench for now)
No need to wait until the engine is complete to post pics. Carb pics (assembled or disassembled) are always interesting. Plus, you're going to take lots of pictures during disassembly for reference, anyway, right? ;) ;)
cyberlon

Post by cyberlon »

My kit came in the post recently, and I can truly say that I am impressed. This kit came with parts I didn't originally plan on replacing, and a color manual that is spiral bound for easy table reference. I can see why it was recommended in the first place. Pre-reading the manual, I even noticed a section that corrects the owner manual, supplements the Clymer manual, and offers a replacement part alternative for a "straw" that isn't listed in any other parts breakdown I've seen. (I'll see where this part is supposed to be on Tuesday.)
pics of the work shall be provided