83 Aspencade - front brake hanging

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
RealtyCaffeine
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 Aspencade - front brake hanging

Post by RealtyCaffeine »

I have rebuilt the right front caliper (ganged with the rear brake) and just took it out for a test ride. I noticed the pads are just slightly touching the disk and if I ride very far I can see how it is going to get really hot. I bled the brakes, lubed what needed lubing per the howto at viewtopic.php?t=44 and overall it went well.

I have two questions so I can continue to diagnose what's wrong.

First, the spring that is under the pads in the caliper seems a bit bent on one side. Not sure if this will cause the problem but I'd love to hear more about what the purpose of the spring is.

Second, what exactly is supposed to cause the caliper pistons to retract when the brake is released? Does this happen immediately that I could test it if I get the front wheel off the ground and spin it?

Thanks for responses and I'll do my best to learn and then teach.

Jerry

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Re: 83 Aspencade - front brake hanging

Post by Earl43P »

"Second, what exactly is supposed to cause the caliper pistons to retract when the brake is released? Does this happen immediately that I could test it if I get the front wheel off the ground and spin it? "

YES! Brake should stop the wheel from spinning, followed by immediately being able to spin it again when the pedal is released.

Normally, the piston seals allow the piston to move out and pads contact the rotor; when you release the pedal the pressure relieves and the contact backs off "just enough" to not drag.

In your case, I suggest cleaning out the tiny spooge (return) hole in your foot master cylinder (might even replace its piston seals). The master has to be partially disassembled in order to access the spooge hole anyway. It may have a stamped steel splash guard fitted, which you have to lightly pry out to remove. Take a stiff tiny wire (think guitar string) to clear out the tiny hole. Some have used a tiny drill bit, but I couldn't guess the size. When that hole is restricted or blocked, pressure remains making the pads drag the rotor. You can usually tell that's happened after a short ride using (or NOT using) each brake; simply feel each rotor with a gloved hand. Too hot sounds subjective, but you'll know it when you feel it!
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

+1 if the calipers are clean and lubed sponge hole mostly likely issue.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

And if you don't play the guitar you can use a bristle from a wire brush to clean out the return hole. As for the pads retracting they don't actually retract they just loose pressure. The may still contact the rotors slightly. The springs, I assume you mean the stainless steel "anti rattle" springs, are just that, they prevent the pads from chattering when applied.