Shifter is not able to shift to neutral when engine is running

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
LowLevelFlight
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl 1100 interstate
1985 GL 1200 interstate

Shifter is not able to shift to neutral when engine is running

Post by LowLevelFlight »

Hello all,
thank you for your time. I have not seen anyone else post on this problem. I know that on some bikes its hard to shift to neutral but I seem not to be able to shift into neutral unless I'm costing or turn my bike off any way to make it a little ezer?
Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Shifter is not able to shift to neutral when engine is running

Post by Maz »

LowLevelFlight wrote:Hello all,
thank you for your time. I have not seen anyone else post on this problem. I know that on some bikes its hard to shift to neutral but I seem not to be able to shift into neutral unless I'm costing or turn my bike off any way to make it a little ezer?
Thank you for your time and thoughts.
Your clutch is dragging slightly. Adjust the mechanism behind the plate on the rear of the engine, according to the manual. Then adjust the cable to suit.
I have a gl1000 and this is the procedure for that. I'm not sure if it's the same for 1100's.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
LowLevelFlight
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl 1100 interstate
1985 GL 1200 interstate

Post by LowLevelFlight »

thank you I will look into that and let you know what I find out.
Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Also ensure that your engine is not idling too fast. This can cause this problem as well. (in conjunction with a clutch that may be just a tiny bit out of adjustment)
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

CT1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I original owner
1985 Cycle Mate CM 1000 trailer
2006 Harley Ultra Classic
1964 Yamaha YA6

Post by CT1100 »

If everything is adjusted correctly and you are still having trouble finding neutral it could be the "dampening clutch plate" the one in the middle of the clutch pack. Honda calls it plate B clutch I think its part number 22322-463-000. When I was having the same problem it was caused by 2 rivets (out of the 8) that hold this one clutch plate broke causing a constant drag on the clutch pack.

Good luck locating one the part is obsolete.
cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon »

Googled 22322-463-000 and found two sites on the front page that do not indicate they are out of stock. I won't personally guarantee they are available at those sites, but there is hope. Sometimes the search for older parts is hard.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

CT1100 wrote:If everything is adjusted correctly and you are still having trouble finding neutral it could be the "dampening clutch plate" the one in the middle of the clutch pack. Honda calls it plate B clutch I think its part number 22322-463-000. When I was having the same problem it was caused by 2 rivets (out of the 8) that hold this one clutch plate broke causing a constant drag on the clutch pack.

Good luck locating one the part is obsolete.
If it does turn out to be the damper plate ('B' Plate), throw it away and replace it with two plain metal ones. If you read the technical tips on Wingovations.com, a full explanation is available there. John, who runs Wingovations, is on this forum as Old Fogey and has spent many years working on and improving Goldwings..

Maz
CT1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I original owner
1985 Cycle Mate CM 1000 trailer
2006 Harley Ultra Classic
1964 Yamaha YA6

Post by CT1100 »

If it does turn out to be the damper plate ('B' Plate), throw it away and replace it with two plain metal ones. If you read the technical tips on Wingovations.com, a full explanation is available there. John, who runs Wingovations, is on this forum as Old Fogey and has spent many years working on and improving Goldwings..

Maz
Thanks that's good information to know.
GrandMaster69
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Post by GrandMaster69 »

Your clutch is dragging slightly. Adjust the mechanism behind the plate on the rear of the engine, according to the manual. Then adjust the cable to suit.
I have a gl1000 and this is the procedure for that. I'm not sure if it's the same for 1100's.
Maz

Is this the arm that comes out of the transmission and holds the clutch cable?
I have similar hard shifting issues when hot, (could be oil viscosity as this problem has been experienced after my first oil change owning the bike)
What is very noteworthy is that I hear a grinding or dragging from the transmission when I hold clutch, brake to stop, enter first gear (cue noise), and finish the stop

At any point in my coast to stop or while stopped it is very VERY rare to be able to enter neutral. When the engine is hot all shifting is painstakingly difficult
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

GrandMaster69 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 pm
Maz

Is this the arm that comes out of the transmission and holds the clutch cable?
I have similar hard shifting issues when hot, (could be oil viscosity as this problem has been experienced after my first oil change owning the bike)
What is very noteworthy is that I hear a grinding or dragging from the transmission when I hold clutch, brake to stop, enter first gear (cue noise), and finish the stop

At any point in my coast to stop or while stopped it is very VERY rare to be able to enter neutral. When the engine is hot all shifting is painstakingly difficult
I believe, on the 1100, the adjustment is behind a small round cover on the back of the engine with a 17mm hex head in the middle. Similar procedure for adjustment , as on the 1000, but check the manuals on this site for full instructions. Basically, if there is no adjustment left at the handlebar lever, you need to slacken the cable off at the handlebar end, then take up the slack with the adjuster at the rear of the engine. This will then give you plenty of fine adjustment at the handlebar end adjuster.
Maz