Water pump life cycle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mxwllslvrhmr
Motorcycle: '81 GL 1100

Water pump life cycle

Post by mxwllslvrhmr »

Hello ..
It's been quite some time since posting here on the forum. Concerning the water pump is there a, so to speak, 'maintenance interval' in terms of replacing the water pump at a given mileage?

The first water pump (plastic impeller) developed a leak and was replaced early in the 1100's life with the steel impeller version. It was long ago. I believe mileage was less than 10K at the time.

Currently, the engine is at 73K, so roughly the replacement water pump has seen service somewhere around 65K mileage.

I was wondering what anyone's experience has been..........how long might these 1100 water pumps be expected to last in terms of mileage? .. Thanks
John

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Water pump life cycle

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Do not worry about it until you see a water spot on the floor. The weep hole will tell you when to replace the pump.
mxwllslvrhmr
Motorcycle: '81 GL 1100

Post by mxwllslvrhmr »

Thanks for the reply. ..The bike hasn't been ridden much at all in recent years. Now undergoing a mechanical restoration to get it ready for the road again. After starting the engine several times the antifreeze drip showed up. Looks like it's time for a water pump replacement.

Upon removing the lower radiator hose fitting for a look/see/feel of the water pump a finger was inserted into the impeller blades. It appears the impeller bearing was significantly worn. The side to side axial play of the impeller was very loose.......easily 1/8 inch.
John
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

The drip on the floor tells it all. That is why it is a good idea to keep those weep holes clean.
There should be no wiggle on the propeller.

Time to change the water pump.

I did mine in January.
This is what it cost me.
Water pump $124.99 + $6.60 = $131.59 from NOSparts.com

Seal Kit $21.00 from KG (personal friend)

Get a sheet of Styrofoam and trace in pencil the gasket cvr.
When you take a bolt out put it in the place on the styro for the exact placement.
Do that on all the bolts. When you reassemble you will have the correct bolt in the right place.

When you get the pump out you will see why the weep holes work. The oil side has a gasket seal which will allow oil to weep if bad.

The water side has the same typ of seal. When it leaks it weeps.