Front brake caliper Question, seals in my kits are too small

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Bomber737
Motorcycle: 78,79&80 suzuki gs1000, 1971 BMEW R75/5, 1989 Yamaha YX600 Radian, 2007 Yamaha Roadstar

Front brake caliper Question, seals in my kits are too small

Post by Bomber737 »

Hello again. I am almost done fixing my friends 83 GL1100, I am not sure if it is an aspencade or interstate. I dont have the fairing lowers or the hard bags to see how they are badged. The bike is equipped with the TRAC fork system. I got the front brakes cleaned out and rebuilt with new brake fluid and pads, got them back on the bike including bleeding them and I found out the right front caliper was weeping. So off they came again and are sitting on my work bench. I ordered new seal kits from the local honda dealer and I finally for them. Unfortunately the caliper seals are not the correct size. They are too small diameter, they wont even fit over the caliper pistons. I called them back and the parts guy told me that these kits are the correct ones they show for my bike, but they are not.

Can someone Please tell me what kits I need to buy for my calipers with what must be the large caliper pistons.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Front brake caliper Question, seals in my kits are too small

Post by Wilcoy02 »

To verify what bike you are working on, look at the steering stem and the plate will tell you.
Is this the original owner of the bike?
If not the PO may have changed out the calipers. Could be the reason the seals will not fit.
Are the front calipers--pistons the same size on both sides? The left should be smaller.
Bomber737
Motorcycle: 78,79&80 suzuki gs1000, 1971 BMEW R75/5, 1989 Yamaha YX600 Radian, 2007 Yamaha Roadstar

Post by Bomber737 »

The sticker says 1983 and I cant find or see if it says interstate or aspencade. He is not the original owner, he picked this bike up (over paid in my humble opinion) with a bunch of problems from a college kid who had been working on it. So I started from the front and went back replacing stripped bolts or just plian missing bolts and checking the bike over. He purchased this as a replacement for another gold wing and so far I have cleaned and rebuilt his carbs and changed out the timing belts for him. I will go out and check the size of the pistons.
Bomber737

Post by Bomber737 »

OK I looked at the calipers and the right side did have smaller pistons so I got that cliper rebuilt and no more leaks. So i have that going for me. The left side caliper has large pistons. So would that caliper be from a different year?
Bomber737

Post by Bomber737 »

Did my own search and I found out that the left caliper is a 32mm piston and the left is a 24.5 so I guess Im going to have to see why the dealer ship couldnt find that information before I spent $57 on 2 kits instean of $20 for what I actually need. What a bunch of crap this bike could be happily down the road.
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

Your '83 has linked brakes, which means that the rear brake pedal operates the rear brake and the front right caliper. Your front brake lever operates the front left caliper only. The rear and front left caliper have 32mm pistons. The front right has 25mm pistons. My calipers were marked with a 32 and 25 in a circle on the front facing side of each caliper. The earlier years did not have this arrangement. The 82 had 30's all around and independent front and rear brakes. Most non-Honda sellers have no clue what they are doing. My Honda dealer had all the correct info, with the latest part numbers to rebuild the calipers. Btw, the Honda seals are worth the money.....
Have a nice day! :)
redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug »

Bomber737 wrote:Did my own search and I found out that the left caliper is a 32mm piston and the left is a 24.5 so I guess Im going to have to see why the dealer ship couldnt find that information before I spent $57 on 2 kits instean of $20 for what I actually need. What a bunch of crap this bike could be happily down the road.
Welcome to the 1983 Goldwing, a breed of its own. Different brake system (Linked) longer exhaust system ,different gearing and there's more. Do you have a digital dash ,or vented rotors, or two tone paint, or a air control system on the false tank? if so you might have a aspencade. Do you Have a I or a A on your serial number after Goldwing? Do you have spoke wheels? Do you have a way to send pictures of this machine? I bet every 83 owner has a extra rebuild kit because they didn't know either. guilty.

Randaks has a great article on resurrecting a Goldwing. If you are serious on restore or just start and run get a owners manual be ready to spend some money and people will help you. First get pictures or re read the sticker and help us out a little and we will be on the way. Let us know.

" Riding on Tulsa Time "