83 GL1100 stuttering under load, fuel pump poblem?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Bomber737
Motorcycle: 78,79&80 suzuki gs1000, 1971 BMEW R75/5, 1989 Yamaha YX600 Radian, 2007 Yamaha Roadstar

83 GL1100 stuttering under load, fuel pump poblem?

Post by Bomber737 »

I have finally fixed the brakes on my friends gl1100 interstate and I took it out for a ride for the first time today. I noticed that it stutters when I rev the throttle when in gear. I will try t to ride this again once I warm the bike up fully and see what it is dong. This happens statically (in Neutral) at 6000 RPM up to that point it revs fine. At 6000 RPM it starts popping and sputtering. I did ultrasonically clean and rebuild the carbs with all new parts and seals. I also synced the carbs and they are prefect. When I went over the bike I did notice there were missing screws on the top of the fuel pump. I rechecked all the bolts holding down the intake manifolds and they are all tight and arent leaking. Could this be a fuel pump propblem?

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: 83 GL1100 stuttering under load, fuel pump poblem?

Post by cyberlon »

As mentioned in the post "The old slow jets again....sigh" have you checked for rust in the lines or tank?
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

Are you sure the float heights are correct?
Bomber737
Motorcycle: 78,79&80 suzuki gs1000, 1971 BMEW R75/5, 1989 Yamaha YX600 Radian, 2007 Yamaha Roadstar

Post by Bomber737 »

I looked in side the tank and there is no rust I can see. It looked like new in there. I replaced the jets with the ones supplied in the rebuild s and reset the needle to 3 turns out. They were set there when I pulled them out for cleaning. I also checked the sizes so I know they were correct. I replaced all the fuel lines and fuel filter with new. I cant remember off the top of my head but I believe these were the non adjustable floats. If they were adjustable I would have looked up the spec and checked them before I put them back on the bike. I also checked the carbs with fuel to make sure they did not leak before they went in. I found out that the PO had taken the top off the pump cause he couldnt get the bike running and thought it was the pump. Turns out the bike didnt have any fuel in it. Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Post by mytown »

RE: float levels. I've read that aftermarket float needles can be both too long or too short, thereby affecting float levels even where the floats are the non-adjustable types and that a too long needle can contribute to fuel starvation at higher RPMs so can't necessarily assume that float levels are correct. It's recommended that the old, known-good needles be reused or that you buy OEM needles from Honda. Float inlet screens clean? Gas cap vent not clogged up? Sounds like fuel starvation but electronic components like bad coils can cause failure at higher RPMs. Odd that someone would disassemble the fuel pump without checking for gas then reassemble it w/out using all the screws. Can't ascribe any importance to that at the moment but it strikes me as being odd enough to mention.
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

mytown wrote:RE: float levels. I've read that aftermarket float needles can be both too long or too short, thereby affecting float levels even where the floats are the non-adjustable types and that a too long needle can contribute to fuel starvation at higher RPMs so can't necessarily assume that float levels are correct. It's recommended that the old, known-good needles be reused or that you buy OEM needles from Honda. Float inlet screens clean? Gas cap vent not clogged up? Sounds like fuel starvation but electronic components like bad coils can cause failure at higher RPMs. Odd that someone would disassemble the fuel pump without checking for gas then reassemble it w/out using all the screws. Can't ascribe any importance to that at the moment but it strikes me as being odd enough to mention.

Exactly what happened to me. I put in the new seats and needles but kept the old floats, thinking that I wouldn't have to adjust the level....it would rev to 3500 or so then starved for fuel. I had to pull the rack and set the float levels and it ran just fine.
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

NONADJUSTABLE??? floats..all 1100 Goldwing floats are adjustable...as are others 75-79. How did you check sizes of jets? What's stamped on the lip may say "X" but many aftermarket jets are not drilled to spec's very well. That's why most keep and clean OEM jets and only replace rubber bits. Also the vacuum needles can be the wrong lenght and/or tip shape.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

RBGERSON wrote:NONADJUSTABLE??? floats..all 1100 Goldwing floats are adjustable...as are others 75-79. How did you check sizes of jets? What's stamped on the lip may say "X" but many aftermarket jets are not drilled to spec's very well. That's why most keep and clean OEM jets and only replace rubber bits. Also the vacuum needles can be the wrong lenght and/or tip shape.
Ditto. Especially true for the float valves. OEM recommended.