83 GL1100I gas cap

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mttaz
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

83 GL1100I gas cap

Post by mttaz »

I have an '83 Interstate I bought a few months ago. I paid $1000.00 for it. It needs work but runs real well. I git it because years ago I had an 82 that I loved. Now I'm finding out that I can't find parts to do anything and might be forced to part it out. I need a gas cap and no one makes it. E bay has used ones but what I see is a joke. Seriously?
People complain about Harley but at least old Harleys can be fixed up with new parts. What a shame, this is a great bike and you can't fix it.
Mttaz

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 83 GL1100I gas cap

Post by RBGERSON »

Lots of parts available you just need to know where to look..try the forms, for sale and post in the parts wanted sections..Ngwclub.com, goldwingfacts.com, local breakers usually have Gl's..

Also check crossover parts lists on the forums..lots of parts for other vehicles fit the GL's
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
RBGERSON

Post by RBGERSON »

One on eBay right now $5.00 plus 8 shipping not too bad.

FAIR WINDS,
RB
mttaz

Post by mttaz »

Ebay has caps with rust on them. No thank you. $15.00 for a used cap is steep.
Mr moe
Motorcycle: GL1100A Aspencade '82
GL1100I Interstate '83

Post by Mr moe »

Try here he'll have what you need.
http://straightwings.com

Vintage parts take time to hunt down, but they are out there.
$-------&
Present rebuild 1982 GL1100A Goldwing

Don't part them out ---- Restore them.
mttaz

Post by mttaz »

Nope, no gas cap. No one has a decent cap. This is sad. Harley has people who make all kinds of aftermarket parts for their bikes. Their no different than Ford Or Chevy. You can't buy parts for old Fords from Ford. Harley is the same way. It kind of angers me because I see so many people parting out their bikes and I can't help but wonder why Goldwings? Mine is 34 years old and still mostly turn key. I'll put Goldwing against Harley any day for dependability but they still get old and no one has come up with after market parts for them. Meanwhile you can find aftermarket parts all day for Harleys. I wish I had the money to invest. Seriously? No one makes a replacement gas cap?
mttaz

Post by mttaz »

I'm not trying to sound like a cry baby. I just don't understand why Golding doesn't have people offering all the aftermarket stuff. Their great bikes. My old 82 I rode for many years and the whole time the only issues I had were air shocks and fork seals once. That bike was the reason I bought this 83. So far, the only issues with the bike is the so called repairs the seller made before getting rid of it. The original owner had passed away and the wife sold it to him. Then someone decided to drill a whole in the gas cap. Now on hot days I get fumes in my face. Real brilliant thing to do. I live in the desert.
RBGERSON

Post by RBGERSON »

Temp fix..fill the hole with JB weld.but before you do that soak the cap in vinegar, CLR over night rise it off to clean it out..install and ride???

FAIR WINDS,
RB
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

Hi Mttaz, After seeing so many people drilling holes in the gas cap out of “a lack of understanding” (there is another word but I am keeping this PC) of how the cap is designed I made a posting a while back showing the caps design.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30077&p=173534&hil ... ap#p173534

If your cap is in good condition other than the hole I would recommend disassembling it to verify that the seals were not damaged and which parts were drilled through. Then I would seal the holes by riveting. You could use soft steel (welding rod or coat hanger) or copper wire. Open the existing hole to the size of wire of your choosing and peen it in place. Common practice in aircraft repair the plugging of open holes. Of course in aircraft repair a proper rivet would be used.

Best of luck.
mttaz

Post by mttaz »

I have contacted Stant and am going to see what will work properly. If they have something I will post the number of the cap on here.
mttaz

Post by mttaz »

I have been a mechanic for 40 years. I know how to make this gas cap work. This isn't my point. I have contact Stant and will see what they can offer for a gas cap. The problem is sooner or later the seals will deteriorate and then what do you hoaky rig? I'm working to restore this bike. Not mickey mouse it. If Stant comes up with a cap that will work, I will post it on here.