New water pump installation coolant drip

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mxwllslvrhmr
Motorcycle: '81 GL 1100

New water pump installation coolant drip

Post by mxwllslvrhmr »

After a new OEM Honda water pump installation, upon engine start and run a coolant drip was noted coming out of the weep hole. The coolant drips were occurring at a rate of about 1 drip per second. While the engine continued to
warm up the drip rate lessened to about 1 drip every 4 seconds. A few minutes later the coolant drips stopped.

The water pump, though new had been purchased about 10 years earlier and was being stored in its factory sealed plastic bag inside the fairing as a spare. It doesn't seem likely but could long term storage cause the shaft seal to deteriorate in some way? .. Has anyone had this happen upon a new water pump installation?
John

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: New water pump installation coolant drip

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

My guess is the 0-ring which seals the pump to the engine has dried out and is failing.
Try installing a new seal, this should take care of the problem. Regards, Johnny
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Yep, age will/can effect rubber parts even if they are just sitting in a bag..but I'd run it a drip won't hurt anything..and may stay sealed up after it's worked it's way into it's seat.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
mxwllslvrhmr

Post by mxwllslvrhmr »

After several more start/run test cycles the drip continues. At engine startup the drip starts after about 2 minutes of run time. As the engine continues to warm up the drip continues for about 4-5 minutes, then stops. Roughly 1 ounce of coolant drips out the weep hole.

If I'm thinking of this right it seems coolant is leaking past the impeller seal and discharging out the small drilled hole in the water pump body, then out through the bottom weep hole.

I'm thinking to do some local rides to see if this condition might clear itself up. Unusual for a seal to have to 'break in', so to speak, but I guess we'll see.
John
mxwllslvrhmr

Post by mxwllslvrhmr »

CORRECTION: Well, I got egg on my face! .. The water pump is fine. It turns out the drip was not leaking from the weep hole after all.
Along with the water pump new radiator hoses were also installed. The new hose was the automotive one recommended in the forum DIY article. The new hose being slightly oversize, the hose clamps were tightened up a bit more than normal to compensate.

It appears the lower hose rubber at the engine fitting connection may have relaxed enough to permit a small leak to develop. Viewed obliquely from a standing position above, the coolant being clear in color and not easily seen was dripping down the front of the engine fitting towards the rear of the fitting close to where weep hole is.

As a result, viewed from above, I assumed the drip was coming from the weep hole. What was that about 'assume nothing'? .. :? .. Only when I got down low on a creeper for a closer look did the real problem reveal itself. A couple more turns on the hose clamp..........no more drip. .. My apologies if this caused any confusion!
John
Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

Cheap fix! Glad it worked out for you. Regards, Johnny
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. When I did this for the first time on my GL1100, I accidentally rolled one of the O-rings around the pump slightly when the pump was inserted into the housing. Only just barely, but enough to cause it to leak when started. Disassembly, re-lubrication of the O-ring and pump, CAREFUL insertion of the pump into the housing, and that time it was tight and dry.