Camshaft marks don't line up

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Doolin05
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Camshaft marks don't line up

Post by Doolin05 »

Hi I recently bought a 1980 gl1100 from a friend at work and in an effort to solve a oil drip coming from under the timing belt cover have decided to replace the seals on the camshaft and crank. My first question is that when setting the bike to T1 the mark on the cams are a notch off from lining up on the left side...my friend, who changed the belts several years ago and considers himself mechanically minded says I should just mark everything and put it back together the way it is. But I'm not so sure...what the word on the street? My inclination is to line everything up so the marks are right on, so next guestion....will I need to reset valve clearance and reset carbs too?
Thanks and Best regards!

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Camshaft marks don't line up

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

The marks must be aligned!
I would check the valves after replacing the belts, as they will have changed after correctly positioning the marks. A carb sync is in order too.
Plenty of info here on belt changing, a quick search will have good results. Regards, Johnny
Doolin05

Post by Doolin05 »

Thanks for answering my questions...which leads to my next one...how do I line up the marks? I have the bike at T1, and the right side is pretty close to the mark (less than a notch), the left side is the one a notch off...after removing the timing belt, can I move the cam one notch clockwise by placing a wrench on the nut and move it so the arrow on the cam lines up with the notch with out screwing something up? Then put the belts on everything and rotate it couple of time to see if all is well?

Thanks
Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

Good video from one of our esteemed members:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Should answer your questions. Regards, Johnny
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Doolin05 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 am Thanks for answering my questions...which leads to my next one...how do I line up the marks? I have the bike at T1, and the right side is pretty close to the mark (less than a notch), the left side is the one a notch off...after removing the timing belt, can I move the cam one notch clockwise by placing a wrench on the nut and move it so the arrow on the cam lines up with the notch with out screwing something up? Then put the belts on everything and rotate it couple of time to see if all is well?

Thanks
The left side you should be able to rotate by hand. The right side will be under stress from the cam springs, and will jump violently out of place the instant the belt is removed. That's why it's good to hold it in place when removing the belts.