delinking brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
grump
Motorcycle: 81 & 83 gl1100

delinking brakes

Post by grump »

Over from F site so I'm out of my baliwick with linked brakes. problem found and solved on my 83 after ride on Wed. I am heavy on front brake use. On said ride front brakes felt woefully inadquate with only one caliper working . That said prob solved with cleaning and new fluid. I have trained myself to be reliant on front brakes almost exclusively. I'd like some thoughts and input on delinking the front and rear brakes. i like the bike but have so many several are going to have to go. messing with factory set up on a bike i might sell could lead to... court or worse. For my own thought I don't care for the idea in general but it has all been OK so far. thanks g

grump

Re: delinking brakes

Post by grump »

More work on the 83. narrower bars, more fluid as frresh charge from day before discolored. No improvement on brakes on ride thru back woods twisties by grass vallley ca. Useing both brakes simultainously produced fine braking. Using front brake only is unsatisfactory. Wanky set up. Linked brakes on my 5th gen VFR work well. Best to sell it I reckon and referb my 82 GL for a keeper. A shame as the 83 is way cooler. Thanks for all the input by the way.
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

you can do it not a big deal..a slightly bigger front master bore size..a double banjo bolt to hold both front brake lines..and cap the rear feed line port at the rear master. Lots of guys have done it do a search
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
grump

Post by grump »

RBGERSON wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:22 am you can do it not a big deal..a slightly bigger front master bore size..a double banjo bolt to hold both front brake lines..and cap the rear feed line port at the rear master. Lots of guys have done it do a search
While the old girl was on the lift I compared calipers etc to one of my 900Fs. same. same. I've a box full of F stuff that would work. I'm in a quandry as 1 of the goldwings must go. Other is and 81 not 82 and it is a project. Runs fine but twice I've tackled the water pump and can't get it right so the 82 get most of the attention for now. I like it. It's less than standard currently and is fun to ride other than the brake issue. I have an 03 Sabre for a baggerbut truth be known, it's going to be first or second on the block once the house/farm are back in shape. i tried research but I'm lame yaknow? Thanks for the note. mike
argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate (project bike) 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob »

grump wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am Over from F site so I'm out of my baliwick with linked brakes. problem found and solved on my 83 after ride on Wed. I am heavy on front brake use. On said ride front brakes felt woefully inadquate with only one caliper working . That said prob solved with cleaning and new fluid. I have trained myself to be reliant on front brakes almost exclusively. I'd like some thoughts and input on delinking the front and rear brakes. i like the bike but have so many several are going to have to go. messing with factory set up on a bike i might sell could lead to... court or worse. For my own thought I don't care for the idea in general but it has all been OK so far. thanks g
I had a really badly damaged rear master in one of my 83's. I couldn't find a suitable 83 rear master, so I got a rear master and a front splitter from an 81 off ebay. I contacted Ray Chan and he made a set of lines for me. I gutted out the steel hard lines and the proportioning valve, rebuilt the 81 rear master, installed the splitter in the front and the line from the rear master to the rear caliper. Bled the system and Viola! delinked brakes. I was a little concerned running the dual 2-pot front calipers off the 83 front master, but it seems to work fine. The 81 rear master handles the 83 dual pot in the rear with no issues.