broken timing belt on left side

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
REDCRASH
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 Interstate

broken timing belt on left side

Post by REDCRASH »

I HAD AN DISAGREEMENT WITH GRAVITY AND LAID MY GL1100 ON IT'S LEFT SIDE AND PUT A HOLE IN MY BELT COVER BREAKI G MY BELT NOW IT WONT START OR RUN RIGHT HOW DO I GET TDC TO BEGIN TO TUNE IT?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: broken timing belt on left side

Post by RBGERSON »

Take the cap off the rear top of the engine just below the gas filter.. take the alternator cover nut off 17mm wrench then use a 12mm wrench to turn the nut inside only clockwise that will move the wheel inside the hole of the top cover..turn until yoiu see T1(you can use the main crank bolt to turn this too)..then check the #1 cylinder for loose tappet..if not rotate one full turn back to T1..now it's at point to set the timing marks on the cams.

But if you broke a belt and the engine was running you may have bent a valve or holed a piston..if youi replace the belts, do both, and you can't turn it easily by hand you may have bigger issues..don't use the starter until youi can turn it hand for a revolution or two.

There is a complete how to in the How to section on changing belts maybe you shoudl read it??
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
REDCRASH
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 Interstate

Re: broken timing belt on left side

Post by REDCRASH »

Thanks for. The information I'll try it Right away. The engine turns easily now so I don't think it bent a valve