Back at it again

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
cjeffers9
Motorcycle: 1978 gl 1000 1982 gl1100 aspencade 1989 gl1500

Back at it again

Post by cjeffers9 »

Hey guys its been awhile. I redid that 82 Aspencade 4 yrs back. The carbs ,water pump , brakes and fixed the broke plastics. With your help that bike came back to life. she made it from NC to the Great state of Nebraska pulling a trailer. Well she found a new owner and I moved up to my 89 !500. Love it !!! But Ive been bored. So found a 81 naked wing cheap !!! Even drove it home 60 miles. Rode out fine. I was thinking belts,water pump, plugs and brakes again and she need exhaust ( someone cut the end off To LOUD for me ) So I'm getting parts together, found the side cover on ebay $60 Happy with that. So anyways went to the storage today and the old girl is sitting in a puddle of oil. looks like where the bottom radiator hose goes in the engine. Trying to remember when I did the water pump before . there a weep hole for the radiator ( the 82 po had fill it with silicone) But am I right , theres not oil behind that engine cover you that off to get to the water pump. I guess I'm asking if one of the o-ring you replace when you do the pump is bad . Not a cracked engine case ?? so I'm stopping by napa tomorrow Dose anyone know the belt numbers right off the top ?? I'm hoping $600 will bring this girl back to life and make someone happy. And it will give me something to do. The down side Ive been fighting cancer the last year and half and Doc told me today its back . Chemo last time was tough and this time maybe worse. So I need this. Looking for a rear back brake caliper that's cheap anyone have one laying around. Think I may take the weekend off and ride to Colorado. Med up and find so cool air.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Back at it again

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

Check out this article: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275&sid=0aab66aa8e ... b2be6fa59b
Belt numbers are: Gates #T274 Napa # 250274
If the oil is indeed coming from the weep hole, the O-ring that seals the pump to the engine is shot. That means new water pump.
Have fun at your restoring job, and take care also. Regards, Johnny
cjeffers9

Post by cjeffers9 »

Thanks Smokey I hate to see old wings die. I do think this one has life in her. I will post pics when I get started. Well off to find a water pump !!
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

Got mine from this Ebay seller......OEM Honda pump and OEM gaskets. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1975-1983 ... 9N&vxp=mtr
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Please keep this thread up. Want to keep track of your progress, both the bike and your health.
cjeffers9

Post by cjeffers9 »

Hi Fellas. Been awhile but back working on the bike. Doing the water pump. So the o-ring right in the middle of the engine I'm not sure if I replace it when I did the pump on my 82 Aspencade but this one seems to have a pinch in the bottom . Haven't check the o-ring kit ( I'm sure it there to replace) but it looks like a couple screws need to come out and the plate needs to come up . Question is there a o-ring underneath the plate ??

Hope the pictures show up . Its the one behind all the shifting linkage. Any Help ??