Handlebar Grip Replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
knichols8686
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 standard

Handlebar Grip Replacement

Post by knichols8686 »

To start I wanted to let you know I have been reading a lot on this site and it has extremely helpful information! So thank you!
I have an 82 GL1100 standard in pristine condition but the grips have been changed before and need to be changed again. The question is how to get them off the proper way. I have searched the web for tutorials or videos and nobody has changed grips on these before or just never posted it. Are these grips just stuck on or part of the switched where they need to be split to remove them? The current grips are foam with a chrome inner ring and a foam cap on the end. I like the feel so I bought new ones just like it.
Thanks in advance!!!

Milkman_d83
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 Interstate
1979 cb750k (sold)

Re: Handlebar Grip Replacement

Post by Milkman_d83 »

Stick a small screw driver in the end that the bar goes into. Pry to make a gap and spray some hairspray in the gap. Get it to go in between the bar and grip as much as u can. Work the grip back and forth. It will help break down glue if any is there. It should make it loose. Be careful on throttle side. Grip goes on plastic not the bar.
If that don't work use a razor blade but don't cut to deep and split the grip. Take ur time and all will go fine
thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2017 Yamaha FZ07, 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500, Gas Gas TXT200

Post by thrasherg »

As stated, the grip has nothing to do with the switch gear, they butt up to the switch gear but are not connected to it. Sometimes the grips are just slipped onto the handlebar, but this does allow them to move/rotate so most people apply some rubber glue, it helps the grip slide on and once set prevents the grip from moving. I usually just take a razor blade or stanley knife and cut the grip in half running in the same direction as the handlebar (from switch gear going outwards) and then peel it off. I use solvent and sandpaper/steel wool to remove the glue that is lefty behind on the handlebars and then apply the new grip.

Gary
knichols8686
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 standard

Post by knichols8686 »

So I tackled the grips last night and really pretty easy. There was no glue and no glue needed for the grips I bought. Thank you for the advise and it all worked out very well!
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Yea! Isn't it funny how we can dread something that we've never tried before, then tackle it, and we find that we are pretty damn good at it? We're so smart.