Weak electrical system

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

Weak electrical system

Post by tylers883 »

If i run my stereo- 1/2 VOLUME - in stop and go traffic, in about 30 minutes I start to get a weak battery. The battery voltage stays down around the 12V range. With higher revs, it takes me about another 30 minutes to see 14.4 volts on my gauge.

What are my options?

Last year, i inspected the 3wire connector at the stator. I was expecting it to be corroded and melted. Instead it was in excellent shape.

Imo, its the oem stator...just too wimpy at an idle.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Weak electrical system

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Tyler you need to do a couple of things. Put your volt meter on the battery and get a baseline voltage and it should be in the 12s. If not charge it up. Then rev it up at least to 3000 and it should be charging into the 13s immediately.

If it is not doing this suspect the stator. If it is giving some real high number, like 15 volts then there may be other problems. Secondly have the batter load tested and the local auto parts store. This is an ALSO, even if the charging test fails. I've read these forums for what seems a hundred years and a guy's problem ends up being a bad battery after a lot of unnecessary work.

Then fix those 3 yellow wires even if it looks like Elon Musk wired them up. The connectors burn up. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30797
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Oh, you didn't mention what kind of radio you have, but if it is an aftermarket unit be sure it is not connected directly to the battery. It can cause a parasitic leak. It needs to be connected to the accessory fuse panel. I'm told that most anything connected to the battery will do this so if you have any other doo-hickey connected to it then re-route it to the panel.

Hope all this helps.
tylers883

Post by tylers883 »

Thanks for some good advice. I definitely will remove the connector and test the battery. The battery is new but i shouldnt assume that it is good.

My stereo is installed on a masterswitch. And ive cut the power wires to the stock clock.

I was thinking of installing LED headlamps and tailights but wont this just improve my ability to boil the battery if my real problem is idling?
tylers883

Post by tylers883 »

Ok, i think i can answer my own question.

Yes, it will give me an extra 2 amps to boil the battery...

But it will also mean that at an idle my system will be loaded with 2 amps less than it is now.

And, if im lucky, that 2 amp difference might tip the scales in my favor so there is no problem. This is possible because I dont have a problem....not ever.....when i keep the stereo off. Additionally, my stereo is not very loud, i think it is fused at 3amps.
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

tylers883 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:39 pm Ok, i think i can answer my own question.

Yes, it will give me an extra 2 amps to boil the battery...

But it will also mean that at an idle my system will be loaded with 2 amps less than it is now.

And, if im lucky, that 2 amp difference might tip the scales in my favor so there is no problem. This is possible because I dont have a problem....not ever.....when i keep the stereo off. Additionally, my stereo is not very loud, i think it is fused at 3amps.
As long as your charging system stays below 14.4v (roughly), you won't boil the battery. If you are saving 2A load, that extra available 2A won't be 'forced' into the battery!
Maz

Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!