First post - new bike and sidecar questions.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
brecchi
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Standard with Velorex 562 sidecar

First post - new bike and sidecar questions.

Post by brecchi »

Hello Everyone. Picked this beauty up for $3500 with 15k miles and every service record. I was going to do a complete service but Ive got records for $2500 worth of parts and labor from December of 2016 including all fluids, filters, belts, battery, water pump and some stuff I can't think of right now. Has had 2 starter replacements since new.

I would really like to add matching Interstate/Aspencade saddlebags and trunk. The bike sure looks brown to me but it seems the paint codes for 1981 say that only Black and Candy Muse Red were offered?

I've been looking for a rack and bag setup in good shape but its proving a bit difficult. Will later model luggage work as well?

Thanks for any advice!

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: First post - new bike and sidecar questions.

Post by jeffcosmo »

Nice looking combination!!
As to adding luggage (weight) to the bike, I would not. This particular sidecar was intended for bikes under 500cc, as it is very light. Sidecars, as a rule, should weigh 1/3rd of the bike weight, or, in your case, about 250-300 pounds. This helps stability. Use the sidecar for storage/carrying stuff. Consider, too, putting a battery in the sidecar and removing the battery from the bike. This will transfer a lot of weight in the right direction. If you do add luggage, keep the weight low and consider Not adding a top box.

I've been a sidecarist since 1985, and have put together a number of combinations, including adding the very 'car you have to a 350 Honda (a fantastic combo it turned out to be, too!!). Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cosmo
brecchi

Post by brecchi »

Thanks Cosmo,

I had an idea to take the car off the frame and add a steel plate to the underside for added weight and stability. I am also looking into fuel options - Maybe a jerry can mounted somewhere or a Tourtank on the rear rack. Wouldn't have to be plumbed into the bike but it would be nice.
jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo »

Removing the battery from the bike and moving it to the sidecar helps a great deal. You could also go to a group 51 (Honda car) and get more amps and a tad more weight. Not much bigger.
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

To answer your question all the "luggage 80-83 fits the same..on the 83 the rack sits a bit further back to accommodate a longer seat on that year but bolts on the same.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
brecchi

Post by brecchi »

Thanks guys. I'm on a lookout for some luggage, and thinking about the auxiliary fuel tank idea for ballast as well as mileage. The battery sounds like an easy enough idea but I think Id like that storage space to put other things in for long distance travel.