!980 Goldwing gl1100 throttle bog

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
firstGoldwingRebuild
Motorcycle: 1980 Gl1100

!980 Goldwing gl1100 throttle bog

Post by firstGoldwingRebuild »

I have a Problem. I just recently purchased a 1980 gl1100. When I bought the bike it was not running.I had the carbs rebuilt and synced the carbs. Now she runs just a smooth as ever, but now she is bogging when I add on the throttle. It will bog so bad that she will die out. Now if I turn the throttle on full it will bog some and then start to climb. The timing is correct as far as I know. Has any one else had this problem and what fixed it.
Help

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: !980 Goldwing gl1100 throttle bog

Post by RBGERSON »

which is it runs smooth or bogs?? Is that runs smooth at idle only?? giving her gas she bogs and dies? slow throttle OK?? fast throttle bogs?? or both?? more details.

Could be a lot of things ..clogged jets, sticky slides, leaking o ring or plenum gasket, clogged air filter, weak spark from battery, wiring, coils, ignition modules,
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
firstGoldwingRebuild
Motorcycle: 1980 Gl1100

Post by firstGoldwingRebuild »

It runs smoothly at idle. When I slowly add the throttle it will climb to 3000 rpm and top off. But when fast on the throttle she Boggs. I also noticed today that when I held the throttle where it started to bog I could tell it was backfiring through the carburetor. I will idle at 1000 rpm.
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

When I rebuilt my carbs I failed to set the floats and my bike would not rev past 3500 RPM. You can check by taking off the air cleaner and running the bike up to where it tops out and then feed it SMALL spritzes of starting fluid....it should rev up to redline. I'd check with whomever rebuilt your carbs & see if they set the floats. I screwed up by changing the seats and needles with the new parts out of the kit but kept my original floats, thinking that i would not need to set the level......WRONG! ...also it sounds like some or all of the accelerator pump ports may be clogged