I need bright lights!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

I need bright lights!!

Post by ride dont hide »

I do a lot of night riding and am looking for suggestions for the best headlight or auxiliary lighting I can find. Running a PIA low/bright now but there are a lot of deer in my area and need better lights. Mounting on the crash bar is an option I would use. Whatcha running??

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: I need bright lights!!

Post by RBGERSON »

Wingadmin did a very complete review of various headlights..it's here someplace with pics of the lights in action..but HID's and LEds are brightest it seems but each has their draw backs..heat/light shadow/focus/cost
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

If your bike still has the original headlight replacing it with a new one will make a world of difference....the reflector inside gets dull & faded with age. Our wings take a standard 7" motorcycle headlight....there are tons of options out there...check Ebay for a start. I replaced mine with a Harley headlight i found at a swap meet.
Attachments

ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

Post by ride dont hide »

Thanks RB, I will look for this. And I did clean out the inside of my old lens and housing when I replaced the bulb with a PIA, it was dirty and cleaned up nicely. The Harley would make a good replacement, one of my friends has one I will try.
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

Personally, I'd recommend a direct-replacement H4-type LED bulb. They are waaay brighter than halogens, and use a fraction of the power (always a plus with the 4-cylinder 'Wings with marginal alternators).

There are lots of offshore (i.e., China - via Ebay) sources for these, cheap. I have a US-sourced set (from California) in my GL1500, and the light is several times better than my top-of-the-line Sylvania halogens were...they use about 1/2 the power, and run far cooler than the halogens (not to mention their lifespan is measured in decades, rather than hours like the high-end halogens).

Just my $.02' worth...
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

Headlights :
I used to run SilverStars ... about 15% brighter than regular H-4's ... but last spring I switched to HID's after a lot of reading on comparisons between LED's and HID's ...
With our fluted lenses, LED's seem very bright , but are not a point source , so they don't focus down the road very well.

HID kits from eBay ( china ? ) are pretty cheap ( $15 to $30)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-Headl ... yI&vxp=mtr

but they do require some dremel work to install the exciter box in your fairing ... about 3 hours for an install on my GL1200... but I love them .. Bright enough that I feel I am gonna get a ticket someday

==========================
Driving lights :
I used to have a pair of Walmart 35 watt lights, running thru a relay . But 70 watts was enough to show a serious drop in the voltmeter , so I only turned them on after 15 minutes of running down the road.

I just replaced them about 2 months ago with some BRIGHT 10 watt LED's .
What a difference ! The stator / battery does not even know they are there .
Both the old and new lights are 2 inch round lights :

http://g03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1.1sGHFXX ... h-Spot.png

These LED's have a lens designed for LED's , so they focus where I want the light.

SilverDave
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

This was a plug and play headlight that I put on my 83 1100.
First ride at night I saw a hawk sitting on the wire that crossed the road. He was center to the road. Really lights up the area at night.
The low beams light up hwy signs during the day.

7" DOT H4 CRYSTAL DIAMOND MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT $21.95 + $10.99ship = $32.94 E-Bay
Installed 8/26/2016.
trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady »

These are expensive and they can be used on a motorcycle.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/st ... reId=10001
They offer other styles of lamps.

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified