oil leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Ray Carter
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

oil leak

Post by Ray Carter »

hello everyone; first time on this forum, ``I have a 1982 gl1100, it has been sitting for 11 yrs. I ran a compression check , got 150 on all cyl. changed the oil , new timing belts, thermostat, rebuilt the carbs, and new water pump. got it running. but noticed an oil leak. it is leaking oil out of the weep hole for the water pump. was wondering if anyone has had this happen before? looking for some info before i pull it apart again. :(

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Re: oil leak

Post by Overdog »

The rear seal of the waterpump seals to the crankcase so that's where the oil is coming from. If the bike still has the original waterpump with the bakelite impeller it's probably time to replace it. You would be looking at about $175 for an OEM pump and gasket set.
Ray Carter

Post by Ray Carter »

thanks overdog, i did replace the waterpump. i must have damaged the seal. guess i will have to take it apart and see what happened unless i bought a cheap waterpump gasket set. back to the garage . :oops:
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

Sometimes the O-rings can roll when they're re-inserted.... (and sorry...I missed the part about you replacing the waterpump....reading faster than my brain can process :)
Ray Carter

Post by Ray Carter »

no problem overdog: hope to get this bike going soon, still need to sync the carbs and change fork seals , rebuild calipers and master cylinders. the bike only has 19000 on it . thanks and safe riding.