Worn final drive -83 1100A

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
JamtJrus
Motorcycle: Gl1100 1980 with a bit Vrod on it
Gl1100 Aspencade 1983 (imported from US 1997)

Worn final drive -83 1100A

Post by JamtJrus »

Hello!

I noticed a bearingnoise from the rear of my -83 Gl1100A a few weeks ago, only feels (some vibrations/resonance) in low speed (20-60 km/h) and when laying the bike down in curves I get a whining sound. Changed rear wheel bearings but no result from that.

A week ago I noticed oil on the right side of rear wheel and it comes from the weep hole at the bottom of the final drive. The level is OK and the oil was changed before this season and level was Ok when I drained the old oil. So it's not more than a drop or two per day but it is still a leakage.

I guess now that some bearing in the hub is bad and that one oil seal has been damaged!

When reading other treads about this I get the perception that you can't change the bearings (at least one of them). True?

What are my options, By a new on Ebay or is it worth changing the seals and the rest of the bearings and hope that I can tighten de tapered bearing if it's one of them who is making the noise. I assume that it is one of the tapered bearing that can't be changed

/Magnus

chrisz
Motorcycle: 1994 bmw

Re: Worn final drive -83 1100A

Post by chrisz »

Somewhere on this site is a recommendation to dump half the fluid in the rear end hub and add enough to fill with Lukas Hub oil. Apparently the thick hub oil can stop the pesky little leaks, maybe permanently. Of course when changing the fluid at the recommended intervals you will have to add the Lukas Hub oil each time (50%). Nothing to lose and the Lukas is quite cheap.
bassplayer2009
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 i

Post by bassplayer2009 »

i could not find a seal so i just bought a rear final drive off ebay. cost me 50 bucks works great no leaks east to change after tire removal.
JamtJrus

Post by JamtJrus »

Thanks for your help.

Because I have a worn bearing I don't think changing oil will help me in this situation, but to be able to postpone the repair of a leaking sealing to off-season it might work.

I found what I hope is a good used hub on Ebay so that is under transport as I wright.

Will take the old apart when I have time to se if it is possible to repair it and than save it for later or sell it.

Magnus
bassplayer2009
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 i

Post by bassplayer2009 »

I tried to give my old one to a repair shop he said he didnt want it because the seals are obsolete and he would just have to throw it away . my old final drive went in the scarp pile , someone might need one . i just didnt bother to list the old one .
JamtJrus

Post by JamtJrus »

I have found all the bearings and seals from manufacturers (not Honda) but the price is higher for that than an used hub on Ebay. But whats stopped me from doing it was the unverified fact that one bearing couldn't be replaced. But that vill be verified during the winter ;-)

Magnus