82 goldwing interstate smoking

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Hank bryan
Motorcycle: 1983 honda goldwing interstate

82 goldwing interstate smoking

Post by Hank bryan »

I have 82 goldwing set for 6yrs changed oil filter fuel filter cleaned gas tank new starter all new fuses oil ,coolant when starts rough idle and the longer it runs it smokes only on left side plus when it sits there is oil under right side exhaust could this be because i need new rings or can i just clean carbs and sync them up again need help

chrisz
Motorcycle: 1994 bmw

Re: 82 goldwing interstate smoking

Post by chrisz »

I suspect that likely you will need to replace the valve cover gasket. With the engine cool, run a clean rag under the valve cover / engine head seam, if its wet, replace the gasket.
jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo »

What color smoke??
Blue = rings.
Black = too rich.
White = coolant.
Usually, if it's just one side, it's head gasket.
However, if the stars have lined up, and your rings gaps have migrated to the bottom, AND you park up on the sidestand, AND it's the left side, AND it's blue: that's fair normal for an older 'Wing. Park up on the centerstand and it's cured.
Hank bryan

Post by Hank bryan »

The smoke is whiye bery faint at first the bike wont idle smoothly at first i have to keep revving to keep running then slowly it will idle hesitation at first then will catch and run have driven it for 10 or so miles runs good and strong lots of power but smokes center stsmd or otherwise
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Carbs probably need to be rebuild or at least cleaned, oil seals on valves could be leaking, rings could be stuck..run it for 100 miles..easy after adding some sea foam or MMO or diesel to the oil..drain a quart put in solvent and run her easy..change oil see it that fixes it. also oil drip could be shifter seal, valve cover gasket or head gasket issue.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Post by jeffcosmo »

White smoke is water, which means you need to replace the head gasket.

Go ahead, try the other ideas first. I've been through this, twice. It's not a hard job, I've done it on the side of the road with the tools Honda put in the bike, plus a torque wrench.

Cosmo

P.S. Check the coolant level.
Hank bryan

Post by Hank bryan »

i have another issue i checked the coolant level and it seemed fine but just to sure safe i drained what was in there and tried to put new coolant in but i can only pour a quart in it wont take any more so i started the bike to see if it was circulating and its not took the drain plug out and very lil came out so i rigged up a hose and tried to blow it out and it finally came out some but not all i tried to blow from the drain and i cant get air to go in either hole now so is it the water pump going out or just stopped up i dont want to burn my bike up running it but and could this have anything to do with my smoking issue. i put in new fuel oil. oil filter. fuel line. fuel filter.and tried to put in new coolant any advice. i am really thinking about just rebuilding everything or getting another engine would appreicate any help advice i could get thank you