Carb install after rebuild (Pete) and #3 seems dead

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
obiwanrazzy
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

Carb install after rebuild (Pete) and #3 seems dead

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Hey guys.. so after several attempts at getting my carbs running better I finally sent them off to Pistol Pete. I think I must be doing something wrong, as every time I put these things back on the bike I get a new problem. At various times I've had #1 not fire, #2 not fire, and now after the rebuild #3 isn't firing. I did take the caps off of 3 and 1 to help with clearance getting the set back in the bike...

#3 is basically not firing as the exhaust header doesn't head up with the others. Things I've checked:

-Fuel is in the bowl. I loosened the drain screw for #3 and fuel came out.
-Spark. I pulled the plug and it sparks fine against the block.
-Air. It's drawing air into the intake as it sucks when I open the carb sync port/screw.
-Fuel in the intake. If I spray a little carb cleaner into the sync port while it's running, it does surge... So not sure if that means it's not getting enough fuel delivered or it's just cause carb cleaner will make it surge like that regardless.

I've double checked the intakes were tight and o-rings were in place. Also took the cap back off of the carb and made sure the slide and spring were set in place correctly..

Is there anything else you can think of that I may have missed or done wrong in the re-install? I'm sure this is something I'm messing up as it ran great on Pete's test rig and I seem to have a track record of creating more problems than I solve with each re-install... any advice?

Thanks,
-Matt

grofovi
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Carb install after rebuild (Pete) and #3 seems dead

Post by grofovi »

Hello!

I have the same problem naw, did you solve yours? Can you advice me?

BR Ales

obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Still troubleshooting. I'll post any updates tho.

-Matt

grofovi

Post by grofovi »

I showered by gasoline carburetors step by step (possible vacuum leak places) and monitor when engine bettered (when middle was going into higher speed). Bike has to been tamed into operating temperature.

Naw I try repair possible vacuum leak - it is carburetor on the 4th cylinder, the same was was not possible to synchronize with others.

Also 2 weeks ago I changed spark plugs and when I checked it, on 4th was like new, all the others was covered by black sludge, this one totally new.

BR Ales

Dintrepid00
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100 Interstate

Post by Dintrepid00 »

Hey guys,

I just had the same issue and posted it on this forum... after "rebuild" #3 had no fuel in cylinder. The shop I work in is full of Harley's and so the carbs are simple.

Here's how I got # 3 to fire like a champ.

When the guy's in the shop rebuilt carb they just cleaned the jets and the bowls. This works on Harleys.

Honda's have an added twist

They have fuel cut off valves in each carb...only way to get to # 3 is split the carbs...The cut off is on the SIDE of the carb. Also # 3 has and accelerator pump (diaphragm). These need to be checked and cleaned/ replaced if broken as well

The brass in the little knob on the cutoff had corroded and the copper had come out and formed a little "stalagmite" that had fused to the aluminum in the carb....Essentially permanently cut off

I replaced all four of these after soaking each carb in kerosene for a couple days and using some of the parts from a $223 Randakk rebuild kit.

At first #2 and 4 were not firing well but a carb synch evened out....

Now runs great but smoked the whole shop up while the kero burnt off

grofovi

Post by grofovi »

Hi! Thank You!

Only one way is to remove and lean carbs, is it correct?

Can you sent me photos, where exactly was your trouble?

I also plan to measure compression in cylinders, my problem seems #1.

Ales

Dintrepid00
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100 Interstate

Post by Dintrepid00 »

Hi Alec,

I was right where you are 3 months ago. I found this video on you tube that help me with the disassembly.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
Removing the fuel cutoff is at 15:45. The title is " 1983 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 carburetor disassembly " without the quotes of course.

Because of all of the tiny passages in the GL carbs I would soak each one in carb cleaner or Kerosene for a day. I would suggest buying a Randakk rebuild kit BEFORE taking a part....that way you can replace O rings and other parts as needed. Only take apart one carb at a time, then use the next carb to compare where stuff goes in. When I did this in the shop it took me 3 hours and I spoke to no one. Friends and customers came through the shop that day and I did not even notice them.

TIP finding those tiny little cotter pins is pain. The first time I took off the linkages I had to grind down a small cotter pins to work....In the Randakk kit they have those tiny pins.

If I can do it I know you can but give yourself some time and patience :D

Now I know why Harley's have one carb........and 1800 cc

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Original poster, this may seem obvious but you didn't include it in your description, have you tried turning the idle mixture screws out a half turn at a time on number 3?

grofovi

Post by grofovi »

Thank for advice, I will do it like is your recommendation!

BR Ales

obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Hey guys. Sorry for not following up... Carbs are back with Pete at the moment, so we'll see what he finds.

I hadn't messed with the idle screws, but that's an interesting point.. would that only affect the bike at idle tho? I'm pretty sure I wasn't firing on #3 even when rev'd up to 5k.. that exhaust manifold never got hot.

argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate (project bike) 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob »

Are you sure it's a carb problem and not an ignition problem? Are you NOT getting fuel to #3 or are you not getting spark?

obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

It was a carb issue. There may have been some fuel getting to 3 but not enough to spark consistently. Pete got it sorted out tho. Some stubborn gunk in one of those little idle ports. Anyway, I've got them back in and they're running good from what I can tell. Did short test ride and it all seems right. I'll do a longer one this weekend most likely.

Now on to the next issue.. leaking fork seal. Good thing there's plenty of resource here on that topic.

grofovi

Post by grofovi »

Hello!

After changing timing belts, after valves adjustments, after vacuum checking, after compression test engine is going well, but idling has no stability.

Engine without any my operation change itself speed. Engine is jumping itself.

By me it is fuel problem. What do you thing?

BR Ales

obiwanrazzy

Post by obiwanrazzy »

Yes, there is probably a problem with the idle ports in the carbs. In my opinion, most likely old gas that has gummed up. So they need to be thoroughly cleaned... I've tried this myself and finally gave up. Even an expert had to go over it twice to get them clean. They seem very prone to problems. I would try to find someone near you that is good at working on old carburetors.

grofovi

Post by grofovi »

Thank you!

Carbs are like new, engine is totally diferent naw, sound beuatifull.

New trouble - left side, left exhaust, emision is cooled than right side. After engine start 1/3 is hot very quickly in 2-3 minutes, 2/4 after 10-15 minutes.

Sound of engine is very regular, when I bought bike, only for 3 valaves was operated, naw is ok.

Can you tell me possible caues?

Thank you and BR Ales

LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1982 GL100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay) 1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Post by LittleGoldy »

Stuck Slide on that cylinder. Also would lose power if that was happening. I have used a dab of silicone spray lube on the cylinder walls (of the carb body) to free it up. May or may not work in your case.

You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek: