TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
OTTERCOMET
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE

TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

Post by OTTERCOMET »

I am using the "Timing Belt Removal Replacement by Octane" to guide my effort. In the description there is a picture of a spanner zip tied to the frame. Given the way the spanner is held in place suggest that when you release the tensioner the cam pulley will roll clockwise (looking at the right cam pulley from the front of the bike). My question is, how much force is behind the roll. He says you can reposition it by hand and then use the spanner/zip tie to hold it in place - so I am assuming that there is not a lot of mechanical effort to overcome. Reason for asking is that I have fashioned a retainer using one of the timing belt cover bolts and piece of coat hanger.

Before I release the tensioner, I am hoping someone can reassure me that my retainer WILL NOT result in a bent timing belt cover bolt

chrisz
Motorcycle: 1994 bmw

Re: TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

Post by chrisz »

Yes you can move the pulley by hand, I had to after my effort at tying it in place failed (too much slack). But you need to make sure you have the new belt behind the coat hanger for the belt swap.