Idle jet plugged

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
arseatea
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Idle jet plugged

Post by arseatea »

Carb dirty with insides caked with something white that looks like calcium. Scrapped, wirebrushed and scotch padded until it is relatively clean, but not perfectly clean. Problem is the idle jet, the smaller of the two. It is plugged with something hard. I've tried wires and even a small drill bit to open it, and got to thinking, maybe that plug is supposed to be in there. Most of the sites with videos I've been on say that it is supposed to be clear and open so light can be seen through it. So, is it supposed to be plugged? And if not, what is the best way to unplug it? Thanks Ron

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Idle jet plugged

Post by RBGERSON »

Does youirs look like this?? Should be completely open and the side ports too..soak it a solvent(carb cleaner, acetone, toilet bowl cleaner)..I use a pin to push through the main channel and all the side ports. Be very careful using a drill bit any change to the orifice and the jet is ruined.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
arseatea

Post by arseatea »

Thanks for the reply. It looks exactly like that. I soaked it overnight in carb cleaner and used a guitar e-string to clean the little ports on the side, but the main channel is still plugged tight. I took a magnifying light and looked and it appears to be a shiny metal plug. Also, I need a way to remove the pressed in sleeve. I tried an ez out as seen on some videos, but that does not work. I understand they have holes that need cleaning too. Did Honda make a special tool to extract the sleeves? I appreciate any info. Ron
arseatea

Post by arseatea »

OOPs.. sorry. I brought in the wrong one. It does not look like that. The one that is plugged is smaller and only has 2 little holes X4. I think it is the low idle valve. Ron..