Slow Jet and Main jet pictures

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
arseatea
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Slow Jet and Main jet pictures

Post by arseatea »

Does anyone have pictures of the main and slow jets in this 1983 GL1100I carb. I am referring to the two that are pressed in and have to be pulled with a ez out. Maybe if I see it, it will be easier to take out. I've looked at parts schematics and the pictures are not very good. Thanks..Ron

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: Slow Jet and Main jet pictures

Post by indianakid »

the main jets screw into the emulsion tubes and are centered with respect to the slide. the slide needle extends into the emulsion tube when the slide is down. the idle jets were pressed in on early 1100's and screw in on later 82's and 83's. which by the way it looks like you have an 83 so you should have screw in jets. i do not have pictures of the press in and screw in idle jets at this time but i do have drawing that i made from them. on the press in jet the upper seal surface is the area that is the press fit. the jet is pressed into the carb body untill the taper on the bottom of the jet seats / seals. hope this helps.
Attachments

arseatea

Post by arseatea »

Those pics help a lot. Thanks. My threaded jet does screw into a pressed jet. There must be a better way to remove the pressed in parts. I tried the EZ out idea, but that did not work and I probably have destroyed the pressed in slow jet. I will replace them both as soon as I get them out. How did you get them out? I do not want to put anything corrosive like toilet bowl cleaner for fear that it will do more damage.
indianakid

Post by indianakid »

OK................ There is some confusion here on my part that you could perhaps clear up. The idle (or slow) jet is either a press in or screw in type. The main jet (ref attached view taken from the factory manual) threads into the Needle Jet Holder (I called it an emulsion tube). The Needle Jet Holder threads into the carb body. Once the needle jet holder is removed the needle jet is easily pushed out (if it does not fall out on it's own) from the top down (with the slide removed). So my confusion is I do not know of a Jet that threads into a pressed in jet ("My threaded jet does screw into a pressed jet.") in the KeiHin carbs that are used on the 1100's. Could you post a picture of what you are referring to?
Attachments

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

It's been awhile but on 83's nothign is pressed in..all screwed and/or held in place by the screwed jet . The only pressed in were the 80 and 81's idle jets. The tops that stick out into the throttle can just be tapped with a wooden dowel if they don't fallout on their own once the screwed in part of the assembly is taken out. They can be hard to unscrew years and crap holding

them in place..a littel carb cleaner or heat gun might help loosen them up a bit.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
arseatea

Post by arseatea »

Thanks for the easy to understand posts. This is an 1983 GL1100I, carb #2. I did pull the main needle jet out, just like you both said. Used a small dowel. Cleaned it, and noticed there were no holes which I thought I'd see and need to clean. So, I cleaned and reinstalled it. The slow or idle jet is another question. I can get the Threaded slow jet out of the tube with a narrow screwdriver. But, is there anything else in that tube that the jet seats against that needs to come out on this particular carburetor?
Maybe something similar to the needle jet on the main? Just want to be sure before reinstalling this. Thanks again. Ron.
indianakid

Post by indianakid »

the slow jet is a fuel jet and emulsion tube all in one. the main jet and needle jet holder combo are the same function. so to answer your question there is nothing else to remove after the idle jet is out.
arseatea

Post by arseatea »

Thanks a lot. That solves a problem.