Correct Electrical Wire Color

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Josterhage
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 Honda CB900C - SOLD

Correct Electrical Wire Color

Post by Josterhage »

I am in the process of completely re-wiring the tail-lights, brake-lights, rear running-lights, and rear turn signals on my 1981 GL Standard. The PO had installed a Vetter trunk and saddle bags. I would like to change the turn-signals in the trunk over to brake lights. However to do so I need to know what wire is what. The PO cobbled together a wiring harness to the four lights in the trunk using whatever 18ga wire he could find at the time and in doing so he bound the wires together with what appears to be a role of electrical tape making the job of tracing a specific wire nearly impossible. I know that I need to do a complete replacement of the wiring begining just under my seat to the rear of the bike. I have the color wiring diagram, however do not know a good source for obtaining the correct color wiring to do the job. Any help is appreciated.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Correct Electrical Wire Color

Post by RBGERSON »

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Mr moe
Motorcycle: GL1100A Aspencade '82
GL1100I Interstate '83

Post by Mr moe »

$-------&
Present rebuild 1982 GL1100A Goldwing

Don't part them out ---- Restore them.
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

Joster :
Rewiring all that mess is several weeks ( or months ) work ..
....tracing and cutting and placing new coloured wires .... I feel for you ...

Some PO had wired all my trailer take off taps , and the 5 into 4 unit with black wires everywhere .... ground , hot , left turn, left turn all black ,,,,,, heavy sigh ..

I could easily get 16 ga red, green , yellow etc , but green-blue or yellow-black or brown-green is a little harder to source . The important point is to know what each wire actually does, and what it really connects ..

As I identified each, I cut and replaced what I could with red or green or blue or yellow wires.

But since its mostly under the seat , if you look on my bike, those funny bi coloured wires are carefully labeled :
"This wire is yellow black " ..( or whatever it should be ...) with a waterproof , typed label .

At least if I ever have to go back in there, I will know what each wire is supposed to be .

Worked for me .

SilverDave
Josterhage
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 Honda CB900C - SOLD

Post by Josterhage »

I was able to locate a source for the correct colored wire I have been looking for. The companies name is Economy Cycle and here is the link to order the correct wire for GL1100.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/bulle ... r-choices/

The link will display the 19 different colors available through them. All wire is 12V/14 Amp and the Mfg states the size is similar to 16-18 ga. The wire comes in 13' rolls and is $4.95 per plus $9.95 for shipping.

I ordered four different colors on Tuesday and they arrived on Saturday.
Newtowings
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A, 2009 Triumph Speedmaster

Post by Newtowings »

I have done a considerable amount of rewiring on 2 GL1100s that I own and have restored. I wanted to retain correct wire colors so I tore apart 2 other Honda wiring harnesses and found all the wire I needed. One harness came from my GL1100 parts bike and the other came from a GL1200 that was damaged in a fire. I also added a terminal block to both 1100s to supply all the rear lights. The T-block has 8 terminals and is fastened to the top of the fuel tank, under the seat with double sided tape. This makes all tail light, brake light and turn signal modifications very easy. They all connect to the t-block.