Carb rebuild leaking around float bowl gasket

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
arseatea
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Carb rebuild leaking around float bowl gasket

Post by arseatea »

So, I bought 4 cheapie carb rebuild kits mostly to get new gaskets and needle valves. I checked oem parts first, and they were so expensive that I figured what can go wrong with a simple cheaper gasket. They seemed to fit fine. Then I installed the needle valve that was included with the kit, and adjusted the float to 15.5 mm. and reinstalled the carbs only to find that #1 and #2 leaked around the float bowl where the new gaskets went. I took them back out, recleaned the surface, rechecked the float measurements, and reinstalled them again. They still leak. So, now I am looking at K&M carb rebuild kits on line. Does anyone have any good experience with these aftermarket kits from K&M? I noticed that Bike Bandit sells K&M parts too, but I thought I'd just get them on Ebay and try to save a few bucks. Thanks again for all your help.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Carb rebuild leaking around float bowl gasket

Post by Johnyy Smoke »

I have had good experience with K&M kits.
Its either gaskets or your floats are set wrong. During instillation did you make SURE the floats were 15.5mm from heel to toe? They have to be SPOT ON! "Close enough" will simply not work.
If you want the best of kits, Randaks (sp?) is, of course, the one. Regards, Johnny
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Carb rebuild leaking around float bowl gasket

Post by dingdong »

Do yourself a favor and purchase OEM float valves. Aftermarket valves are well known to leak.