Replacing coils on 83 goldwing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
vaughn
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Replacing coils on 83 goldwing

Post by vaughn »

What has anyone done to replace the coils? I know they are no longer available. Mine are 34 years old and I want to be prepared in case.
I had heard of some being used off of a Civic.
Thanks

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: Replacing coils on 83 goldwing

Post by jeffcosmo »

Dodge Neon. There is a thread on this, right easy conversion.

Cosmo
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Are they not in spec?? if in spec leave them alone..there replacements like the Neons and others. do a search.. gl1500 coils work too..and you get three so you have a spare????
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
vaughn

Post by vaughn »

my bike is sputtering some while crusing, I have new plugs, wires and boots and a new fuel filter.
Is there a way to test the coils to see if they are OK
The bike runs fine while your giving it throttle.
I had the carbs professionally rebuilt 2 years ago down in Tennessee
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

you can test the ohms on the system with a meter and look the coils over for cracks or bulges..If you have a spark leak a dark garage and spray bottle of water may get it to show up..but hard to check under running on the road conditions. Pulling the plugs and looking at the spark on each should be nice fat white or blue easy to see even in sunlight..dark garage even better.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
91Veteran
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing

Post by 91Veteran »

RBGERSON wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:10 pm Are they not in spec?? if in spec leave them alone..there replacements like the Neons and others. do a search.. gl1500 coils work too..and you get three so you have a spare????
Are GL1500 coils available? I see some listed on Amazon. Are there any changes needed to use the GL1500 coils? This is a timely thread since I think I have a coil going bad. One ride and it rides great, but the next ride and it's backfiring on one side. It seems to get worse as the bike warms up. I have the Goldwing service manual and I glanced through the section on ignition. I assume the ignition coils are what are called spark units in the manual.

Since they are the originals, I think I would rather replace them.
vaughn

Post by vaughn »

How do you get those coils out.
I have done a lot of work on this bike in the last 6 years I have owned it mainly to save money, but the only good mechanic that worked on these bikes closed shop. I change my own tires. Removed and reinstalled the carbs after having them rebuilt. Put new thermostat and hoses on. Rebuild brake calipers and flush out brake lines.
The bike runs fine until you run it for awhile then it kind of sputters while easy cruising but open up the throttle and it takes off. It has been getting worse every time I take it for a ride.
I'm thinking it must be those 34 year old coils.
Thanks for any help
91Veteran
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing

Post by 91Veteran »

vaughn wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 pm How do you get those coils out.
I have done a lot of work on this bike in the last 6 years I have owned it mainly to save money, but the only good mechanic that worked on these bikes closed shop. I change my own tires. Removed and reinstalled the carbs after having them rebuilt. Put new thermostat and hoses on. Rebuild brake calipers and flush out brake lines.
The bike runs fine until you run it for awhile then it kind of sputters while easy cruising but open up the throttle and it takes off. It has been getting worse every time I take it for a ride.
I'm thinking it must be those 34 year old coils.
Thanks for any help
Vaughn, do a search here on 1997 Dodge Neon coils and it will pull up the thread. It's easy to do...I did it a couple days ago. I had the same problem as you and the new coils fixed the problem.
I bought new coils, plug wiring and end caps at Napa.
vaughn

Post by vaughn »

Anyone use Caltric brand coils. They are new replacements out of California . Also do the ones for a 1500 bolt back in the same way as the originals?
Will the voltage be the same as the 1100's?