What parts of front end should be replaced after heavy damage?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Billy Hexacon
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

What parts of front end should be replaced after heavy damage?

Post by Billy Hexacon »

Hello, well i had my first hard crash.....ouch, my front end is a mess. My question is how can i tell what parts need replaced, besides what is visually obvious? Like the Forks and handle bars(they are way bent) im not a bike mechanic, but i possess mechanical apptitude. Can the front axle be bent or the trees from my rendevous with the semi trailor wheels, both mags show deformation as well.

:shock:

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: What parts of front end should be replaced after heavy damage?

Post by jeffcosmo »

Have the frame checked BEFORE you purchase ANYTHING.

Trust me, I've been there.
Although my experience was polar opposite: a friend had a minor shunt (less obvious damage than yours), bought all the obvious parts, only to find the frame bent. Sold it to me for $1, I bought a frame for $700, and had a nearly new '82 Nighthawk.

Cosmo
Billy Hexacon
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

Re: What parts of front end should be replaced after heavy damage?

Post by Billy Hexacon »

Whooops to late, i already ordered stuff....front end and f-r mags whith new tires for dirt cheap. A freind gave me t trees and bars..the old trees look ( not even) slightly, when i try'd to put the new forks on it became obvious that stuff's not in line. Im struggling, im so sore, but i love this bike! It (was) like showroom sweet, it runs so smooth and nice. Its my first GoldWing, my first crash i was going about 25 started raining, I applied the brakes and for the first time while rain riding it started to slide even though i released and reaplied. :oops: