What lubricates the fuel pump? Oil..yes or no?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Doolin05
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

What lubricates the fuel pump? Oil..yes or no?

Post by Doolin05 »

I've done about everything I can with this 1980 GL 1100 and finally turned the key yesterday...I nearly jumped out of my socks when it fired right up! Yahoo, I took it for a 15 mile test run and pulled into the garage and slide some cardboard under it and mowed the lawn. When I was done I noticed one tiny spot under the right side...evidence pointed to oil leaking from tach cable exiting the fuel pump. Low and behold I actually had a replacement oil seal which came in a bag of seals I bought when replacing the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals! How often does that happen?
Anyway, I pulled the fuel pump and the elbow and replaced the tach oil seal and put it back on the bike. Now, my guestion...the tach was leaking oil, hence the need to replace the oil seal, and the was oil on the splines, and inside the elbow and the splines for the tach, so I did not put any grease on the splines when I put it back....now I read some posts saying I should have applied grease to the splines and some saying I shouldn't. My inclination is that it didn't need any and is oil lubricated...ami right or should I pull that sucker off and grease it up before I ride it again? That's what I think of at 3:00 am haha
Thanks everyone!!

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: What lubricates the fuel pump? Oil..yes or no?

Post by jeffcosmo »

Do you ever get told you are overthinking things??

You're overthinking this. It's all good, the little oil that gets in there does lubricate it.

Cosmo
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Oil from the head is how it is supposed to be lubed but grease won't hurt either...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
Doolin05
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Post by Doolin05 »

Thanks everybody...slept like a baby last night zzzzzzz