1100 HEADS

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

1100 HEADS

Post by lbman »

Hi all,
after spending most of my summer working on my wing. and thanks to a $200 Donner bike i picked up last weekend i was able to get my 82 back on the road.
my daunting project seemed to be the right side head. I could not get the head gasket to hold. I took the damb thing to 2 machine shops to surface, must have been something wrong no one could see. TOO MUCH SHAVED OFF! I had ordered gaskets that were supposedly OEM 2 times. it would hold for a couple of days or tell I got on it . then it would weep into cylinder over night and HYDRAULIC next morning. Bad for starters!!!! especially when it fries Relay and it welds closed..very very exciting to say the least.
I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I have turrets .
the Donner also had a bad right side. but my retired mech and also P.O. said he thought the left and right side were the same. just switch the cams over. by God he was right! left head on Donner was perfect. It works!!!!!!!! and also a head gasket from Bike Bandit that came in a mother Honda stamp. there is a difference for sure.
i was bummed that the Donner had been laid down HARD on the right side. mine had been in past also so no help there. everything is bent.
front forks look good so i will swap that over this winter.
I will get some picks posted later.
thanks
LB

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Re: 1100 HEADS

Post by jeffcosmo »

I have seen an aluminium head lose it's temper after overheated, it was dead soft after.

And, just FWIW, Donner is a reindeer, donor is a parts bike. Though reindeer DO get better gas mileage...

Cosmo
lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Post by lbman »

I was referring to Donner the reindeer. he's pulling the wing now.
lb
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I have extra heads and yours for the taking. Just pay the freight. It's donor BTW.
lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Post by lbman »

Thanks , the left head off the Doner is doing great. I think this winter I will be able to clean up and rebuild the rusted head.
from the little bit of research I have done it appears that it is most often the right head that fails. Why is this?
"Donner " the parts bike, had a bad right side head. it was put away wet after being rode hard. when I removed radiator some clear water ran out .then came chocolate pudding.
I will pull motor this winter and tear it apart to see what all is damaged. Front right cylinder is hammered with rust.
85,000 on the clock. cross hatching is still on other cylinders.
ill get some picks up soon. weather is looking to turn. tiz the season. looks like i will be riding in the rain. o well at least Im finely riding!!!
thanks,
LB