1100 throttle lock and dipstick

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
twinn
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100
1983 gl1100 Aspencade

1100 throttle lock and dipstick

Post by twinn »

1980 gl 1100 standard with vetter fairing, haven't seen any recomendations on which throttle lock to use, also can't seem to find the dipstick kit on J C Whitney. Anyone got a link to it? thanks in advance twinn.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1100 throttle lock and dipstick

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I bought one of these for my 1100. $21 at the local dealer. Looks cheap, works great

Welcome to the site.
Kringlio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard
1997 Valkyrie

Post by Kringlio »

I recommend using a Crampbuster instead of a throttle lock. Especially on a bike without an electronic rev limiter, such as the GL1100. My GL1100 had a throttle lock when I bought it and it slowly grooved into the throttle tube plastic. One day on a freeway on-ramp I cracked open the throttle and the throttle lock locked open the throttle without me engaging it because of the way it had grooved into the throttle tube and because it had just a tiny bit of side to side play. Basically, a hard twist of the throttle was enough to wedge the throttle locker across the groove and make it stick. Not yet knowing this had happened, when I pulled in the clutch to shift to third gear while releasing the throttle, I found that my throttle was stuck open and I watched in horror as the tachometer needle went to about where 11000rpm would be, on a bike with an 8000rpm redline. I was able to wrestle my throttle close. And my engine did not blow up. I promptly cut the throttle lock off my bike with a pair of pliers and ordered a Crampbuster. I did take a picture right after this happened so that I could warn others but it is difficult to photograph. In this photo you cannot really see how the old throttle lock slowly friction grooved into the plastic throttle tube, although you can see some scratching and wear:

And yes, before anyone jumps in to say I incorrectly set the throttle lock tension adjustment screw, I had indeed fiddled with it quite a bit to ensure the smoothest operation because I had noticed that sometimes the throttle tube did not close smoothly.

Anyway, a Crampbuster is useful even around town and even at neighborhood speeds. If I had a bike with cruise control I would still use a Crampbuster because it can relieve your hand 100% of the time instead of just on the highway:

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

The oil dipstick is no longer made. Look over at NGW site. Someone over there makes a dipstick. Or used to. ???

https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52527
Last edited by dingdong on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I have one of those and forgot to put it on when I changed oil last month. It is especially handy when you have that chrome deal on each side that covers up the crappy oil level window. Not going to do it now until next change.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Kringlio wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:13 pm I recommend using a Crampbuster instead of a throttle lock. Especially on a bike without an electronic rev limiter, such as the GL1100. My GL1100 had a throttle lock when I bought it and it slowly grooved into the throttle tube plastic. One day on a freeway on-ramp I cracked open the throttle and the throttle lock locked open the throttle without me engaging it because of the way it had grooved into the throttle tube and because it had just a tiny bit of side to side play. Basically, a hard twist of the throttle was enough to wedge the throttle locker across the groove and make it stick. Not yet knowing this had happened, when I pulled in the clutch to shift to third gear while releasing the throttle, I found that my throttle was stuck open and I watched in horror as the tachometer needle went to about where 11000rpm would be, on a bike with an 8000rpm redline. I was able to wrestle my throttle close. And my engine did not blow up. I promptly cut the throttle lock off my bike with a pair of pliers and ordered a Crampbuster. I did take a picture right after this happened so that I could warn others but it is difficult to photograph. In this photo you cannot really see how the old throttle lock slowly friction grooved into the plastic throttle tube, although you can see some scratching and wear:
Here is another type with a rubber clamp. No wear problems. I have one on my 76.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-VISTA ... ingdocs-20
Kringlio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard
1997 Valkyrie

Post by Kringlio »

That rubber clamp throttle lock is definitely a major improvement, but on old four-cylinder Goldwings without electronic rev limiting you still have the risk of over revving the engine in emergency braking situations. When you're riding home at 1 a.m. after a long trip to the mountains and a deer runs out in front of your headlight you are going to brake hard and either pull in the clutch or not pull in the clutch. If you pull in the clutch with your throttle lock engaged the engine will over rev. If you don't pull in the clutch your braking will be fighting engine power at the rear wheel. There is an expensive $189 breakaway throttle lock that automatically releases the throttle lock when you pull your front brake lever.

https://www.amazon.com/BrakeAway-Motorc ... 56&sr=8-16

Is the improved safety worth that much? Well if money were no object when it comes to safety I would love to have ABS brakes, traction control, and proper electronic cruise control but so far I'm too cheap to buy a newer modern bike that has them even though I take safety with the highest seriousness and tell myself a newer bike would be worth it just for the improved safety alone....
argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate (project bike) 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob »

Wingovations (http://www.wingovations.com) used to sell a dipstick that attached via the drain plug, but I don't see it on their site anymore. I had one on my 83 Interstate, but after a couple of oil changes, it leaked quite badly. If I wanted a bike that leaked oil, I'd ride a Harley... I also like the Crampbuster that was mentioned earlier...
ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

Post by ride dont hide »

I wholeheartedly agree with Kringlio. I did have a throttle lock( think about why they call it that for a moment!) After a few years use mine would lock almost solid when the temp dropped below 30. Found out the first time when 2 deer were standing in the road and I am doing 60. Took all I had to turn the throttle down and rode the next 20 miles to work like that. Did it again and swore never to use one again. Cramp busters work very well especially with heavy gloves.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

On a cross-country trip years ago my right arm was getting sore from holding the throttle. I stopped in a truck-stop and got a package of 6 or 8 inch long little bungy-cords. Took a bungy cord, put one hook on a throttle cable, looped it over the hand grip and put the other hook on a throttle cable. If you pull the bungy cord into the gap between the handgrip and the switch housing it provides just enough friction that the throttle will stay wherever you put it without locking, you can easily pull the throttle closed in emergency. and it's easy enough to wedge in of flip out with your thumb while driving. A "poor-man's" cruise control.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark