Starter turns bike doesnt start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
mtdavis72960
Motorcycle: 1996 Harley Road King
1986 GoldWing Interstate
1983 GoldWing Apspencade

Starter turns bike doesnt start

Post by mtdavis72960 »

So,
Just returned from Iraq and wanted to ride my 83 just as I did in the past however.... I turn the key the starter runs and it doesnt start.
So what I have done today is I drained all the fuel out because while attempting to start there was a strong sweet smell the only way to describe it. I thought I put Stabil in before leaving for the year however I did put 1 gallon of good gas in with same results of turn over and no start. Positioned the choke in several positions and tapped on the carbs. Once in a while it grumbles as if it wants to start but no go. So not that this has anything to do with it but I changed oil, filter tapped the carbs again and the fuel filter. I checked the start switch moving to all positions ect. Ideas anyone?

argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate (project bike) 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Re: Starter turns bike doesnt start

Post by argosybob »

I'm sure you have probably tried all this, but here are a few things to try.

My procedure is to work backwards... Are you getting spark? Pull a plug and test. If you have spark, did you try taking off the air filter and shooting some starting fluid into the air box? If It fires and runs on the starting fluid, then check to see if fuel is getting to the carbs from the pump. Disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and crank to see if fuel is pumping. I had to clean out the pump in my Aspencade when I bought it as the previous owner let her sit for a long time with fuel in it and the gas in the pump turned to goo. I was able to clean it out and that resolved a major issue. You can also check the pickup lines in the tank. Disconnect the line at the petcock and see if fuel flows from the tank. If you have an air compressor, use a blow gun to blow some air back through the petcock in both the Main and Reserve positions - make sure to open the gas cap first!
mtdavis72960
1986 GoldWing Interstate
1983 GoldWing Apspencade

Post by mtdavis72960 »

Roger that and thanks

Last night I shot starting fluid into the system and yes it did start not real well but it did chug along. The disturbing thing is the smell that I smell when trying to start as it doesnt smell like gas so very possible that the bowls and pump has the contaminated fuel still in there. I did replace the plugs yesterday as well just in case and none I took out were wet. Getting ready for IRMA so I will play with is again later when my wife quits pulling my hair out. Thanks again for the direction to go and I will update when I have time.

Attachments

argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate, 1983 GL1100A Aspencade, 1982 GL1100 Interstate (project bike) 1985 California Sidecar Wingliner Trailer

Post by argosybob »

Nice looking ride! It won't run great with just starting fluid, but at least you know you have spark. Stay safe, Irma looks to be a nasty one...

My Aspencade needed so much work when I bought her. Carbs needed a rebuild, timing belts, every hose had to be replaced, pulled the fuel tank and power-washed the inside, rebuilt the petcock, rebuilt or replaced the entire brake system, not to mention having to rewire all of the extra lights the previous owner hung on it (he just ran wires to the switch panel in the fairing with no disconnects, so it was impossible to pull the fairing off without a lot of cutting a lot of wires). Put a clutch in her last month. It was a lot of time, effort, and yes, money, but she is soooo worth it! :-) Just waiting now for Diamond to deliver my new seat, but I'm sure they too are prepping for Irma (they are in Crescent City Florida).

Stay dry, stay safe.
mtdavis72960
1986 GoldWing Interstate
1983 GoldWing Apspencade

Post by mtdavis72960 »

Thanks and yes at least I am home to help around the house versus the wife doing everything.

Before going to Iraq last year I rode the bike and no issues so I am almost positive that its the carbs since it sat for 13 months. Now when I came home for R&R I did start it but didn't ride it. I am lucky with this purchase as it was only a one owner bike and he took very good care of it to the point that it still had license plate springs on it. No scaring or bluing on the pipes so yes very lucky on it.

Well have to get busy again thanks for the leads and I will update when I can.

Thanks

Mike
AKA Taz
President FL 4
Red Knights MC
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Before you start taking things apart an easy test is to hook up an alternate fuel source.just pull the fuel line from the #3 carb hook up a fuel source( I use a line stuck in a water bottle's cap..not safe but easy)

and see if that helps..if it does you know the problem is ahead of the #3 carb. Could just be clogged idle jets if yoiu pull the air cleaned and use a spray bottle with gas in it into the air box and she runs..you know for sure it's clogged carbs. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Next time drain the carbs..easy just open the drains.or run it with the petcock closed until it dies and then drain. Also plug the air clean horn..keeps mice out.

This pic is for bench testing but it gives you an idea of an alternative fuel source hook up
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
mtdavis72960
1986 GoldWing Interstate
1983 GoldWing Apspencade

Post by mtdavis72960 »

Okay Gents,

I survived Irma with minimal damage which we were very lucky.

So as of today this is what i have attempted to get the ole girl to run but still will not go;

Replaced fuel, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter as well as checked for hose disconnects.
Pulled fuel hose **** and it free flowed also pulled hose going to carbs from Fuel Pump and pump is working correctly.
Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it does start so I am getting spark.

What other idea? Are there any other engine shut offs on the bike besides the key and the start switch near the throttle?

Thanks!

Mike
argosybob

Post by argosybob »

Glad to hear you made it through with minimal damage from the storm. Since you have spark and the bike fires on starting fluid, and fuel is getting as far as the carbs from the fuel pump, I would say your carbs need some attention... It's really NOT that hard to do. Get the Randakk kit (and the book, well worth it IMO), prepare a nice clean place to work, and dedicate a Saturday to cleaning them. Once you get through the 1st carb, the rest aren't so bad! :D