LED Gauge Cluster

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

LED Gauge Cluster

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I was thinking about changing the cluster on the 1100 to a fancy LED unit. Not sure how hard that might be, but I imagine that changing the bulbs to LED would be a lot easier. I did this in my truck and it looks pretty cool even though I have had to change the lights more often that I thought I would. It would have to be a lot brighter, especially the temp and fuel levels.

I am going to have to get back there to work on a very noisy speedometer cable. I think I have read that to get to the bulbs you risk tearing up the gauges???

Love to hear some thoughts on this.

Hoosier Jack

Re: LED Gauge Cluster

Post by Hoosier Jack »

You know, looking at this it really doesn't look to hard to change the bulbs. Now I'll have to figure out the size to get.
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

I changed the bulbs in my 83 to LED bulbs. I got a "tower" type bulb from Ebay. I ended up changing the idiot lights back to regular bulbs....with the LEDs you could see the chips on the top of the bulbs. I didn't like the look. I found conventional bulbs at the local parts store that were a bit higher wattage..sorry, can't remember the number. The LEDs work well for the illumination bulbs. I saw on a forum where someone bent back the metal shield on the temp/fuel bulb holder. I wish I had done that on mine. When you get the holder out you'll see what i mean. I don't know which type of bulb the 82 takes....the early 1100s take a push & turn type bulb. My 83 takes a bulb the pushes straight in. On that type of bulb polarity does matter....test the bulb and if it doesn't work, turn it around.
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I appreciate your post. Not exactly sure what the tower type LEDs are but I will check on that. I was thinking that I wouldn't change the idiot lights anyway. Mostly the speedo, tach and the fuel and temp gauges on top. Were you happy with those?
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog »

Yes...they're a lot better.

This is what I mean by a tower type... they also make them with a single LED....a narrow beam would be more like a flashlight as opposed to a spotlight... I'm pretty sure your 82 takes the other kind of base...the push & turn "Bayonet" base. 83 takes the wedge base.
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I took off the windshield and had to remove several nuts that hold the gauge pod. If you do this you will see what I mean. Besides removing the tach and speedo cable there are at least 8 little nuts to remove. All can be reached with a bit of work.

The bulbs are in little terminals and mine were these:

They say Stanley 12v 3.4w I called Superbriteleds.com and the nice guy gave me the correct bulb replacement. BA9S-BHP5: Blue $3.95 each and you need 3 each for the tach and the speedo gauges and I got the one that is needed for the fuel/temp gauge. This is the bulb:

I went blue. I found that only one of the original bulbs was actually clear. The rest are all almost black so it is no wonder that I had trouble seeing the gauges. There are 5 bulbs for the idiot lights and all of mine are clear and I'm not going to replace them. I imagine that these can be found cheaper on ebay but when I get good customer service like I did from Superbrite you order from them.

I will post the results after I get the bulbs tomorrow and give you an opinion on the conversion. So far so good.
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

One thing I'm not sure about is that I want to clean the plexi over the fuel/ temp gauges since there seems to be some gunk in there. I removed two screws that I would think holds the back of that to the pod. Here is a pic. The arrows point to the two screw holes.

I tried lightly to pull this off but I don't want to break it. Manual is no help.
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

Took a ride last night for several hours after dark. The new blue lights really light up the gauges, but not so bright to bother me. Looks cool too. One thing I didn't care for is the glare on the windshield. Looks like a set of blue boobs looking at me. It's low enough that it doesn't interfere with my vision, but it is there and the shield over the gauges do not hide it. I had that problem before with the regular bulbs but these are brighter.

Maybe I can figure out how to extend the shield a bit to cover it enough.

I had also installed a new LED headlight. Don't know if I have it upside down but the low beam was useless. Almost wreaked the bike turning on an intersection that was new asphalt and they hadn't got around to painting the lines. I used the high beam the rest of the ride and the light was fine for me to see even out in the country.. No one blinked at me to turn down the lights???? One thing about it, the LED is bright and people see you coming.
indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

I too would like to clean the glass over the fuel / temp gauges. When changing the bulbs (i used the same as what came out from AutoZone) I got to the same point you were in the picture and time did not allow to investigate further. Did you, or anyone else, ever get it disassembled enough to clean the glass ? What is the trick ????
Hoosier Jack

Post by Hoosier Jack »

I did not get it off. The new LEDs made it better though. I could have man-handled it but thought better of that.
38wing
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing gl1100I

Post by 38wing »

Did u have to change the flasher relay so all of the leds would still work? If so what relay did u use i have 82 gl1100 and was thinking of doing this also. I also got a led headlight from superbright leds the low beam seems to be to dim and the high is very bright. Did you fix that problem on yours?