Remove swingarm and center stand at once

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Wessel81
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Remove swingarm and center stand at once

Post by Wessel81 »

Hi all,

I'm following this forum for a while but this is my first post, so hello everybody and thank you all for contributing to this forum.
My name is Wessel, I'm living in the Netherlands (so sorry for my sometimes incorrect English :? ), earlier this year I bought a GL1100 which, bit by bit, I'm improving. For spare parts I also have availability of a similar, but written off, donor GL1100.

First job is to swap the swingarm and center stand of the "official" bike with the donor bike because there are holes rusted in them.
With help of the info on this forum and in other books, I now got to the stage where I removed the swingarm of the "official" bike.

I would like to hear your ideas about moving on, what would be better to do:
1) support the bike with car axle supports (do not know English term) and jacks etc. Then also get the center stand removed now, while you have you good access. Then do the same with the other bike then swap and install everything (swingarm + center stand) again.
or
2) first swap and install the swingarm (+ wheel etc), finish that and then focus on the center stand. Bike is more stable then because it has it 2 wheels and you could also use side stand.

Little bit doubting which way to go. Also thinking of how to support the bike when wheel, swingarm and center stand are gone. Can I lift up the bike by jacking (with some wood) the engine itself?

Thanks for your support,

Greetings, Wessel

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: Remove swingarm and center stand at once

Post by AZgl1800 »

I think that I would hang it from the rafters with good rope, or a small chain.

Put it at the height you need to make it easy to work on.

maybe use a cheap boat winch and cable??
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Wessel81
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Remove swingarm and center stand at once

Post by Wessel81 »

I decided I will put the donor bike on the side stand and remove the centre stand but keep the swingarm, so that bike can stay on wheels and side stand while I swap the centre stands. After that on both bike can be on centre stand while swapping swing arm.

Main question I have now, can I raise the (back of the) bike by jacking the engine, supporting the complete engine bottom with wood etc. Not completely in the air but just enough to get the centre stand removed.

The engine mounts will probably be ok, but I read some post about the "delicate fins" which are at the bottom of the engine.

@John: thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I do not have something above the bike to use for lifting/hanging the bike.

Thx Wes